• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is dual ddr like raid 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
simular...
as RAID 0 typically uses 2 hardives to acess each file, it (in theory) doubles the available bandwidth.

DCDDR will increase the avalible memory bandwidth to 128bitsx2 wide (from 64bitsx2 wide with DDR), so once again (like RAID 0) the theory says the RAM can work twice as fast.

But once again alot of the twice the speed is just theory

Well, I don't think that dual channel DDR offers any more "speed." More bandwidth, yes. Speed, no. At least not in the sense when compared to RAID 0.

Let me explain. With RAID 0 you have two identical groups of data which are read simultaneously. In dual channel DDR there is still only one location for anyone one variable. You will be able to access more variables per unit of time but accessing one variable will still take as long.

I hope this was the type of answer you were looking for. :)

Not true. There is no duplication of data in RAID0. Each block (the smallest unit the file system can resolve) exists on one drive or the other, not both. If you compose a RAID0 array of two 20GB disks, you get a 40GB array. This cannot happen if data is duplicated. One block is written to one drive, the next to the other.

I agree the latency of the subsystem cannot be improved by this scheme. But the scheme itself is actually fairly analogous between the RAID0 disk array and a dual channel memory subsystem. While not a tremendous fan of analogies, I see no serious problem with this one.

128bitsx2 wide (from 64bitsx2 wide with DDR)

I thought DDR was 64bit - so Dual DDR is 2x64bit???

its just that I always accepted that it was just the extra instruction on the fall that gives it its name and now any increases in the memory's bank size

and we see much more real world improvement in raid 0 than DCDDR, each compared with his own single version

ninthebin said:

I thought DDR was 64bit - so Dual DDR is 2x64bit???

well 64bit bus x2 (dual channel) x2 (ddr)

but it`s still 64 bit bus for each stick of memory

Sorry about my earlier post. ughh I am losing it. Stayed up all night studying and my brain was fried.:eek:

no they are not 128, is just that like we often said 266 or 333 when the real clock is 133 and 166, the same here, the bus IS 64 bit wide but is 128 bit efective

hmm..

actually, i know what raid 0, 1, 0+1, and 5 are...but i didnt know what DCddr was...

in raid 0 (striping) a specific file is split evenly over the two drives and stored like that.

yes I know about the memory - its just the guy with all them lovely blue stars saying otherwise to what me brain says makes me doubt the old gray matter... :(

SIMM is 32bits wide
DC SIMMS are 32bits wide x2 = 64 Bits wide
SDRAM DIMM is 64bits wide
DDR SDRAM DIMM is 64bits wide double pumped (thus),x2
DCDDR SDRAM DIMMS are 64x2bits wide + 64x2Bits wide =128x2bits wide

If this makes any sence that is

I think I partially explained this in another thread, but there are similarities and differences between DCDDR and RAID 0.

Conceptually, you can picture them accomplishing the same thing as both can double the throughput.

However, RAID writes data in serial stripes (i.e. it writes one stripe to the the first drive, then one to the second, then back to the first). DCDDR, on the other hand, reads and writes from both channels in parallel -- they are effectively bonded together. It is also important to note that RAID is really only efficient because of the cache on each drive. Without the buffering provided by that cache, RAID 0 would not give any performance benefit.

Back