• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Troubleshooting Help- "NO OS FOUND"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diggingforgold

My friend has one of them small pavilion towers with a Celly 666MHz and WinME installed. He got it from his dads work (Ford Employees FREE PeoplePC program), and I got one too (except a better one :D ).

The problem started with this:

The computer for no reason at all just stopped working. Hard drive spins up, no video or apparent activity at all.

Resetting the CMOS battery fixed it (for the time being). Problem: Whenever you restart, it goes to the HP INVENT bios screen as usual, then displays an error message "Operating System Not Found". I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled WinME using the HP disks. It didn't help.

The only way out of the NO OS FOUND error is to CTRL ALT DEL or press the power button until it goes off. CTRL ALT DEL restarts the system, and it does the same thing over again. Pushing the power button on and off will result in WinME starting up with no problems. Scan disk reports no errors, and he has McAfee Active Shield (which is active, but only updated for 90-days from the time of purchase).

Because it refuses to boot after restarting, it makes installing XP Pro on his machine impossible (requires multiple restarting during installation.)

Since it would be much easier to set up a network over my friends house using all XP OS's - and that all the computers actually worked - I was hoping that I could fix this problem, but I can't. Thats where you guys (and girls) come in! I've never been let down here.

I first guessed it was a virus. Then corrupt OS files. Then a faulty hard drive. Now I'm leaning toward the MOBO- something to do with IDE.

I had one of those but it was a 533...would power up or anything just sat there....I took out the PCI cards...NIC and Modem...I put the nic back in...machine powered up...put the modem back in...nothing...so the modem in the computer caused it not to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back