• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who's using a 9700 pro on a Th7II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Today I got this from Abit:

My questions:

Thank you for your answer, but the problem with the PCI/AGP FIX setting in the BIOS resists.

Whenever I set it to FIX instead of dividers windows will not load even when the system is NOT OVERCLOCKED! I get a bluescreen with a relation to an ATI driver.

I saw some other guys having this problem.

If we can't solve this problem it is not possible to overclock with
this board anymore. :-(

Please help me. The ATI articles does not reflect my problem

Abit:

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your mail

We have tested it and found out it is compatible issue by using ATI display card on TH7-II board.

please contact ATI website.(upgrade display card BIOS)

Edit: Which ATI BIOS version are you all using? Mine is 8.004 .

Merkor

Last edited:
Wow, Merkor. So you were right all along. Sorry for doubting you. I have a Club3d 9700, the BIOS according to the display properties - advanced - adapter tab is

113-94206-101

Hope you solve your problem. Let us know of any developments in the matter.

Also, please post this Abit e-mail on the rage3d forums (9700 technical support). Sending a message to ATI is also a good idea. They have a dedicated support form, the address is in the beginning of the rage3d catalyst discussion forum' sticky threads.

but this problem is not effecting 9700 alone all radeon cards using catalyst are effected you all should know that. ATI should Fix the catalyst. lets please send some emails to ATI about this please

I don't think this is a driver issue. I've tried all official and inofficial drivers for my 9700 and never had a problem with the fixed AGP speed. Even the Abit e-mail says that it's a BIOS issue. Which is, of course, worse...

Perhaps Abit itself doesn't know what they are talking about. ;)

It affects only SOME systems but all ATI cards with the Catalyst. There is a 50:50 chance to have the problem or not.

I have contact to a server administrator from Rage3D. He wanted to phone an engineer at Abit Taiwan. We will see what he says.

Another thing is I returned my 9700 (which seemed to be a Club3D but built-by-ATI) and in two days I will get a Sapphire 9700 in exchange.

In addition I am in contact with the ATI support but until now they sent me useless things about reinstalling drivers and so on. I will report where we get...

Until then...

Merkor

well it is drivers i'm sure theres no way that it's a bios error if it only shows problem when you instal the catalyst and i think this problem only occurs in certain Th7ii boards. certain revision.

Hey ivan,

still can't message you. What's going on there? You could install Trillian from www.trillian.cc Perhaps this helps us...

I will enclose the Abit answer to ATI and we will see what he answers...

Edit: BTW: It can't be an ATI 9700 BIOS problem because there are two versions available: 8.003 and 8.004. I have got 8.004 but there are people out there with just the same BIOS and running the FIX. ;(

Merkor

Last edited:
i'm 100% sure it's not the VGa bios, it can't be aVGA bios problem since a lot of RAdeons have the same problem . those that use catalyst

well haveing no problem at all running my hercules 9700pro i only can't run outside fix it crashes in d3d games so fixed is good for me.

And where can I D/L those bios files an how to look them up ??

I had the problem early on: Win98SE kept locking up entering Windows with a 9700 Pro and AGP/PCI fixed. Abit and ATI had no clue and were of no help.

I got around the problem by switching to Win2k. Works fine.

I notice most the guys running a 9700 Pro on a TH7II are running Windows XP.

So is anybody having problems with other than Win98SE?

Back