• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI and Hydravision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I have the 9700 pro and am trying to set up hydravision. Right now i'm not very impressed with any of it. I would like to get it set up so that I could have my regular screen on my monitor and then a movie playing on my TV using s-video. As of right now it's just one big extended desktop. However when I try to play movies or what ahve you on the TV it freezes up kinda. so I have to close the movie. Any ideas?

Don't know about that card, but on my Hercules 8500LE the tv-out is connected to the VGA port. So as long as I haven't got a DVI display, I can't get different displays on VGA and TV.

But I've got another video card in my machine and a dual input monitor. So my primary card (8500LE) can run the video and my secondary card can run the monitor if needed..

yes i have the newest drivers.

I just can't get her to work right. not 720 x 480 res

Are you kidding me? Isn't that the whole purpose of multiple displays? Doesn't Nview do it for Nvidia?

Nope, Nview gives you the same thing. As soon as you need to go full screen for something, your second monitor will go blank. The are very few cards that will allow dual fullscreen displays. i think the FireGL's may do it, The Quadro's, most Wildcats, etc...

You CAN get several full screen displays, but as far as my 8500LE, it does it "the wrong way". I enable "Theater mode" and get fullscreen DVD on my monitor and fullscreen Windows on my TV. The other way around is the difficult one..

Also, on my card I get two "set" of displays. That is, in addition to select output on the "display" tab of the advanced settings, I also got to screens on the "settings" page. Messing around enabling both and various display settings did sort of give me two independent displays on VGA and TV, but it's a total mess to work with..

Play around, click on everything!

CrystalMethod said:
Nope, Nview gives you the same thing. As soon as you need to go full screen for something, your second monitor will go blank. The are very few cards that will allow dual fullscreen displays. i think the FireGL's may do it, The Quadro's, most Wildcats, etc...

Kill hydravision. Use window's built in multimonitor support instead. Hydravision software is a virus that plagues the system.

Anyhow, yes the 9700Pro and 9000Pro can do dual independant and dual extended display. The rest of ATi's cards drivers will only allow it to do dual extended.

Independant lets you set the resolution and refresh different from each monitor. When you play a game your second monitor will stay on.

Extended forces you to set the resolution and refresh the same(usually whatever the weakest monitor you have can handle). When you play a game that does not support multimonitor display your second monitor will shut off(or blank out because it gets no signal).

If you use Window's built in multimonitor support it defaults to dual independant.

Once again, rid your system of the verily crappy software that is hydravision if you have it.

I have 3 monitors going at this second, I hate using hydravision cause it only complicates and messes up everything and puts too much crap into everything, just drop it, and use windows alone.

if you want something to manage things, look for "ultra Mon"
that program allows you to have different wallpapers to each screen and a different screensaver to each screen and just makes things look better.

but drop hydravision, that program is just a mess.

That program is pretty nicec. however I can't seem to get it to work the way I want. I was able to get something like a movie playing on one screen and something else on the other. However the problem is that I had to make my TV the primary so anytime I click on my monitor it shows up on my TV and I have to move it over. Not to mention that it makes my movie go back to original size.... Also one concern. Is there a way to make my resolution on the TV to 720x480?

720x 480 is a odd resolution for a TV, standard NTSC is 640x480.
only HDTV can handle more resolutions than that.

bring your resolution down to 640x480 to match your TV's resolution.

are you sure? I was under the impression that all TV's where 720x480? And for some reason my whole TV screen won't get covered and i don't know why. It's kinda crooked and not full screen

I can get a movie to play on the TV. but only if it's .avi. .mpeg or .rmvb (real media) won't play on the TV. Yet if I do get something on that screen then click on the other screen the movie switches back to my primary screen. So the problems to resolve are A) How to make my display onthe TV Fullscreen from corner to corner... B) How to get anything I want to play on the secondary Display (TV).... C) How to get the resolution of the card to match that of the TV. TVtool that works with nvidea cards makes the resolution 720x480 and that worked perfect. Doesn't work for ATI cards which is kinda why im' wonderin if a tv being 640x480 is 100% correct. Not trying to be rude in the least. I juat always ripped movies to 720x480 and this while time I thought thats what it was. and finally D). How to get what i put on the second screen to stay there. If there is anyway to change the settings using windows or to set it up somehow using the program that you sudjested then please fill me in. Right now I am being driven up a wall because of all the messing with settings and getting stuff to work only half @SS.
Duck

http://www.llnl.gov/icc/sdd/img/guidelines.shtml

Know the Aspect Ratio You Are Using
NTSC has a 4:3 aspect ratio, your computer screen is something else, so converting screen video to NTSC is not 1:1. Either a region of the screen is converted one-for-one to NTSC, or the screen is pixel-averaged to the NTSC resolution. Test your computer's video scan converter to see how square objects are output. Depending on your system, they may appear rectangular. Also, video hardware and software use various image sizes. An image created with a 640 x 480 resolution, when transferred to a 720 x 486 system may result in elongated objects. There are professional applications which convert aspect ratios, resolutions, color depth and file types to their own internal values. You need to conform to a single aspect ratio especially when combining and compositing images from varying sources

Render to NTSC Resolution
Most likely, the resolution of your computer screen is much better than NTSC. For video, render images to NTSC resolution to save rendering time and memory space. Details at resolutions greater than NTSC will not be seen, and unfiltered high frequency energy can produce unwanted color artifacts. Computer video frame buffers vary in size between 512x480 to 720x486, so know the resolution of your buffer and render to that size.

(I have been looking for about the last ten minutes in how resolutions between tvs and computers relate, and it seems they are alittle different, thats why there appears to be a "uneven fit" in some cases. I use to study film and the standard film format when made for TV was 640x480, sometimes we had off framing cause of the conversion between the 29.97 FPS of TV and 24 FPS of movie film, to make it worse was the conversion between the film sizes, film is usually done at 16x24mm, thats the 16x9 widescreen, then the normal 4:3 format of TV... I suspect the same thing happens with computers, the aspect ratio is slightly different so it can vary.... but after 20 minutes of reading all I can say is, I get different information depending on where I go...)

Back