• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where to buy a compressor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

Does anybody know some good places to get compressors (at least 1/4 hp) Ive looked at ebay and several places on the net- but none have reasonable prices- they are all oriented at repair.
I really dont want to spend more than $150 if possible.

208-230V dont quote me on this but isnt there a way to get 220v by just splicing 2 110v together?? Ive been seeing so many 230v compressors its amazing.

yes thats how you get a 220 line is 2 110 hots and a ground but.....the 110 lines must be from a seperate circuit..let me try to explain.most all homes i know of in the usa have 4 lines going into them.in the breaker panel you run a 110 down one side another 110 down the other side.you get one ground and one earth ground.if you jump the 110 hot to the other 110 hot you well get 220 volt.not a biggy .running a 220 line isnt a big deal but you will need to go into the breaker panel to get the 220 voltage.you see the dryer ,electric stove,the heat pump all use 220 voltage so you see you have it but just done use it for everything.
but please do not play with this unless you are carefull.if you make the wrong spice or grab the wrong wire....you wont just get shocked like the 110 line does to you.i have seen grown men have to be knocked off the line because they grabbed the wrong wire and they were stuck and froze to the circuit untill someone could knock them off.and it takes a while to get the numbness out of the hands if you get shocked.under the right conditions it will kill you stone dead...............

here is the deal with 220. there are three, not four, wires that go into your house. one is ground and the other two are hot. the ground is the center tap on the power transformer that powers your house. to explain this better, think of two flashlight batteries wired togeather in series. if you go between the two wires that are connected to the ends of the batteries, you will get 3 volts. if you go between eather of the end wires and the one in the middle, you get 1.5 volts. the same is principle is used on the wiring in your house. to get the 220, you need to take power from opposite buss bars. a breaker pannel is set up so that alternating rows of breakers are on opposite sides of the transformer. if you take any two breakers that are next to each other VIRTICALY, you will get 220 between them. if you are going to run a 220 compressor, i would recomend that you hardwire a dedicated line for the compressor. you might want to also flip the voltage switch on the back of your computer and run that off of 220 as well. the reason that i suggest this is due to the way that electrical meaters work. you actually pay a small amount less for the same ammount of 220 than for a comparable ammount of 110. also, since the voltage is doubled, the amperage of a device will be halfed. if something draws 10a at 110v then the same device will draw 5a at 220v. hope this clears thing up.

hrm, so you are saying we need two 110v lines but they have to be from different circuits or else it wont work? where can we find 2 different 110v that are hot?

Last edited:
Back