• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

few abit at7-max2 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ntpphong

are all revisions about the same? if not..what do newer revisions have that old ones dont? i'm planin to get a revision 1.0. i'm using xp2400+, will it recognize my cpu without updating any bios?

what is the pci divider on it? i've heard it doesnt have the 1/6 divider.. and do you have to set them manually or do they automatically kick in at a fsb?

thanks

Last edited:
Good rule of thimb when buying a new motherboard is getting the latest revision then updating to the latest known good BIOS.

Abit boards require you to manually set the divisors & it only has 1/3, 1/4 & 1/5. No BIOS update will enable a working 1/6.

then i wonder why the kt400 chip should be fully used if i want to max the fsb out to 200Mhz? pci would be like 40mhz and that would be dangerous.
and i think abit hasnt released any newer revision than the 1.0... anyone knows where i can check it?

Sonny said:

Abit boards require you to manually set the divisors & it only has 1/3, 1/4 & 1/5. No BIOS update will enable a working 1/6.

even if someone made a moded bios that has a 6:2:1 divider? :D
is it not possable for somone to make a modded bio for a 6:2:1 divider?

i would like to have one myself.plan on getting some pc3200 soon to replace this pc2700 sammy i have. already get 193 but a 1/6 divider would be sweet. maybe TMOD could hook us up!:drool:

40MHZ fsb isnt too dangerous. the components on the board(nic sound etc) run fine upto 45mhz pci, it will be your AGP that will be picky- 80MHz instead of 66 which is pushing it abit.

if you have good quality stuff then 200mhz fsb should b ok. Others have done it so why not give it a go? if i ever get round to finishing my XP unlock then i might try 200mhz on my KD7 which has the same KT400 chipset.

walldow said:

even if someone made a moded bios that has a 6:2:1 divider? :D
is it not possable for somone to make a modded bio for a 6:2:1 divider?

i would like to have one myself.plan on getting some pc3200 soon to replace this pc2700 sammy i have. already get 193 but a 1/6 divider would be sweet. maybe TMOD could hook us up!:drool:

in my experience with the at7-max2, the original bios on my board had the 6th divider available, and it did not work, but when it is enabled, or available, it seemed to cause stability issues with the 5th, so, the newer bios's cleared that up, but don't have the 6th available any longer. i used several of tmod's modded bios's, and they work fine for me, but if the 6th divider is there, i stay away from it.

i don't think it's a bios issue, i think it's a kt400 issue....maybe. either way, the 6th didn't work for me.....i used it pally chips, but i don't think any other chip will make a difference either.

with the 6th divider un-available, i have no issues at all with the 4th, and 5th, so, i prefer to live without the 6th. imho....

;)

madsam said:

in my experience with the at7-max2, the original bios on my board had the 6th divider available, and it did not work, but when it is enabled, or available, it seemed to cause stability issues with the 5th, so, the newer bios's cleared that up, but don't have the 6th available any longer. i used several of tmod's modded bios's, and they work fine for me, but if the 6th divider is there, i stay away from it.

i don't think it's a bios issue, i think it's a kt400 issue....maybe. either way, the 6th didn't work for me.....i used it pally chips, but i don't think any other chip will make a difference either.

with the 6th divider un-available, i have no issues at all with the 4th, and 5th, so, i prefer to live without the 6th. imho....

;)

i used the abit b7 bios and the tmod b7 modded bos from this forum and they both had instabillity problems at high fsb speeds. couldn't get over 185 fsb. flashed the c5 and am able to reach 193 with current ram. on sig below.

i would like to have the 1/6 divider just to do some testing . at 193 i get hard drive curruption every once in a while and have had to go in and rewrite my master boot registry a couple of times. don't know if running the high fsb speeds is throughing my hd too far out of sync.

i think the c5 bios is a little more stable than the b7 and it would be nice just to have the 1/6 divider to try out.

walldow said:

i used the abit b7 bios and the tmod b7 modded bos from this forum and they both had instabillity problems at high fsb speeds. couldn't get over 185 fsb. flashed the c5 and am able to reach 193 with current ram. on sig below.

i would like to have the 1/6 divider just to do some testing . at 193 i get hard drive curruption every once in a while and have had to go in and rewrite my master boot registry a couple of times. don't know if running the high fsb speeds is throughing my hd too far out of sync.

i think the c5 bios is a little more stable than the b7 and it would be nice just to have the 1/6 divider to try out.

i just flashed to the c5 bios a couple days ago, and my pc seemed a bit unstable til i defragmented my hdd, but i usually like to reinstall windows after a flash. i haven't reinstalled just yet. i also was wondering if you are using a stock c5, or a modded c5. mine is a modded c5. pm me or e-mail me if you would like the modded.

;) :D

It is a kt400 problem. I am sure that no new bios will enable the 6th to work. I have read many places that the kt400 is not really any different than the kt333, except for the fact that it has more integrated features.
Also, I went to c5 and it alowed me to boot at 190. I could not go any farther however without hdd coruption. Previously I was only able to go to 179.

do you guys normally reinstall windows after flashing your bios? and did you reinstall when you flashed to C5?

i have reformated the hard drive and reinstaled windows after flashing the c5.

i am using pc2700 maybe if i get some better ram, say pc3200 to run the higher speeds of 193fsb or better. but my sammy is doing petty decent for pc 2700, sisoft sandra benches 2821 mb/s.

try buying a stick of corsiar in a couple of weeks, 512meg pc3200?

how do the people who do testing on these boards reach the 400mhz fsb speed as stated in motherboard reviews?

:beer:

Cheesy Peas said:

if you have good quality stuff then 200mhz fsb should b ok. Others have done it so why not give it a go? if i ever get round to finishing my XP unlock then i might try 200mhz on my KD7 which has the same KT400 chipset.

that's what i am wondering? how they do it? i have a decent system and whant to push it.:rolleyes:

walldow said:

that's what i am wondering? how they do it? i have a decent system and whant to push it.:rolleyes:

like you said, it's your memory that is holding you back. i got my mushkin pc2700 to go as far as 197 fsb, but that's pretty high for pc2700. i'm sure some corsair or mushkin pc3200, or pc3500 will easily sustain 200+ fsb.

your pc2700 seems to be serving you quite well, but it is your limiting factor because it's pc2700, like mine.;)

I've reached the limits on my board.

I can get it to boot at 200x11 = 2200mhz but, I do get hard drive corruption, noticeably I would unrar an iso, slap in on daemon tools, and go to install the application and get any number of errors.

So I dropped the FSB to 190, and the HD corruption goes away, but my AGP still crashes. Basically just reboots my machine about 10 secs into any graphical application, 3dmark, cstrike, etc...

Not to mention I have a crappy stepping 2400 AIUCB 0241... and it doesn't like doing over 2200 even at 1.95 volts.

Damn it'd be nice to have a 6 divider but we'll all just have to suck it up and buy a kt400a or wait and see whatever comes after that.

we all thought the kt400 would support the 6th divider, but that was a flop. how do we know the kt400a will in fact support it, without error, and not just claim it?

We are NOT going to get that 1/6 divider anytime soon. I"ll bet it's not availble even on the "kt400a"...
The BEST we can hope for right now is locked dividers, like on the Epox 8RDA+ ..:(

walldow said:

how do the people who do testing on these boards reach the 400mhz fsb speed as stated in motherboard reviews?

:beer:

that's probably the DDR speed. Take whatever fsb you get to, multiply it by 2 (since the bus is ddr) and thats the equivalent speed. It sounds like they were able to hit 200fsb

i finaly got to 400mhz fsb speed. after flashing a modded c5 bios. and doing some more tweeking to my ram. now running 100% stable at 11x200@2200 mhz-400mhz fsb. thought the ram was holding me back because it's pc2700 but it runs great. sisoftsandra benches 3015 mb/s for bandwidth.

thanks for the help madsam!:clap:

Recently flashed to c5 and it cleared up 95% of stability issues, and also I was able to reach 195fsb stable. this is from 169 with original bios. Huge difference. I pulled a total of 398 3dmarks more with it @190 comming from 169. bios update is an extreemly good thing and I would do it before even installing windows for the first time on a new system

Back