• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best IDE drives for RAID 0 setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zazuk

I'm looking to do a RAID 0 setup so I need new hard drives. They need to be reliable, fast and under $200 for both. I have an Asus A7V333 with onboard Promise 20276 RAID controller.

For under $200 for both I'd get a pair of Maxtor 7200RPM disks, ATA100 with 2mb of cache.

But the best drives for an ATA RAID setup are the Western Digital Special Edition drives, which start at 80 gigs for about $110USD.

Hmm, well ide the fastest i personally used where 80gb maxtors (d740x) ata133 7200 rpm, striped, they beat the WD1200's i have by approx 20 minutes on a 8+ hour DVD to SVCD conversion doing (Beverly Hills Cop) i was suprised having just spent 500 @ BestBuy
they where both tested in a gigabyte 8IHXP w/ promise (Lite)(PDC20276) onboard controller using ntfs & set for vid editing both sets where ghosts, as i needed the space & wanted to know if the WD's where really faster, so it was a fair comparison for a home tekkie ;)

have two of the new Maxtor Plus 9's 160gb 7200rpm ata133 8mb models but yet to try them as i been buying scsi HD's..
maybe someone here has tried this model?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

hmm, hope posting that isnt in violation of any rules?

It was.

It's prohibited by Forum policy to post for sale, or want, anything outside of the Classifieds.

Mr B
Forums and Classifieds Moderator

So hands down the Western Digital Special Edition drives are the best all around drives?

Edit. I hate when someone post with more info when your are typing a post. I will look in to the maxtor d740x. is there a good place to read reviews on drives?

Last edited:
Zazuk said:
So hands down the Western Digital Special Edition drives are the best all around drives?

yes the Western Digital Caviar WD2000JB series (only available at 200GB), the WD800JB series are not as fast as the IBM180GXP and the new maxtors diamondplus 9 may be faster too.

I'm using the Maxtor ATA133 7200 8MB buffer 80gig drives in Raid 0, and so fair they are significantly better then my 60gig WD SE drives in raid 0. I'd definately recommend checking them out. I don't remember the exact model name, don't have the box handy, but they shouldn't be hard to find

The Maxtor 7200 rpm ata 133 8mb cache drives are the best right now. The WD 7200 rpm ata 100 8mb cache drives are a close second.

Johnny Knoxville said:

according to what? :rolleyes:

And.......What benches do you have that show otherwise?
'Cause i'm going by the ones at Storage Review.com

They did 11 performance tests on the 8MB cache IBM against three other 2 MB cache drives. And, the IBM could only manage to come out on top in two of those tests.

Last edited:
toymaker said:

And.......What benches do you have that show otherwise?
'Cause i'm going by the ones at Storage Review.com

They did 11 performance tests on the 8MB cache IBM against three other 2 MB cache drives. And, the IBM could only manage to come out on top in two of those tests.

I saw those reviews myself. The IBM 8mb cache drive is king, but it's only in the big big sizes. I run a RAID and I don't neet 360 gigs of space, so I go with the WD800JBs.

donny_paycheck said:

I saw those reviews myself. The IBM 8mb cache drive is king, but it's only in the big big sizes. I run a RAID and I don't neet 360 gigs of space, so I go with the WD800JBs.

According to the review, the Western Digital, which is actually an 8 mb cache drive (my mistake, got the JB mixed up with the BB version), outperforms the IBM 8 MB cache drive. You have the link to Storage Review in your post. Now what review or reviews are you looking at?

Last edited:
I have heard that 8MB drives are having trouble in RAID 0, in relation to prefetch problems. The prefetch cannot grab data quick enough since the drives are striped, and that is where the problem lies. Some have said the 2MB cache drives may even out-perform the 8MB in some tests in RAID 0. I have not confirmed this, it's only word-of-mouth.

Can anybody else confirm this? I don't have the drives to test it.

toymaker said:
According to the review, the Western Digital 2 MB cache drive outperforms the IBM 8 MB cache drive. You have the link to Storage Review in your post. Now what review or reviews are you looking at?

It's here. You can see it walk all over the 2mb cache drives. The only one that beats it is the 200gb/8mb WD.

Back