• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much would these have cost 'in the day'?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cwb27

Doing some cleaning out of a storage room and found an old server from 1990. Running in it were 2 double size SCSI drives (don't have the brand off hand, I think they're Seagate) that weigh close to 10 pounds each Now. Here's the kicker. The manfacturing date was 1990... BUT, they're 1gig drives. I don't know about you, but that sounds expensive for something of that size.

I have them here at home now along with the controller card (Some Adaptec ISA) they still work, not sure what the data access times are like though.

i have some 2gig drives like that! 50 pin? about 10pound each..... yep that sounds familiar~ back in the day i bet they were EXPENSIVE!!!! and were the largest storage avalible at the time......

BAH! You and your puny HDD...

I have this in my drawer:

bighdd.jpg

Its 40MB and is almost 20 POUNDS! :D

larva said:

Try thousands.

Yeah I underestimated...I got a 1 gig Seagate SCSI drive (full height 51/4") in 1992 for about $850. A few years before means beaucoup bucks beyond.

My dad said that he didn't think SCSI existed in 90, but then I told him. He probably didn't know because they were so expensive.
He bought servers for Intrust bank in like 92 or 93.
2 of them
486s in them
1 processor
almost 2 gigs in each of them
total:
$54000

WOW

Back