• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Fan For FREE :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nemes

Registered
Hello to you all.
With me just starting out in hardware tinkering/overclocking, I don't know if this is a new thing I found or if it is regularly done and is considered a norm if you can do it..but here goes.
After starting out tinkering with my new hardware..and overclocking here and there, I came across the inevitable problem of cooling and how to achieve the best results.
I explained in a previous post about how my graphics card fan went on the blink and while searching around in magazines for an alternative I tried and succeeded in fixing an old 486-cpu fan onto the card with greatly improved cooling..
Well A similar thing happened also the other day.
While overclocking my cpu-sys-by way of my Host-clock or fsb I noticed that my cpu temp's were rising and I started to look for a way to cool it a great deal more. Well after just buying a new drive I was SKINT literally heh, and so I looked around into my old-hardware bin-or draw..I think we all have them heh, its the place were we keep all our old hardware from the p100 and 486 days heheh.
Well what I tried and succeeded in doing was taking the HUGE FAN out of an old power supply.
Yes those massive fans in the power supply. I took one out of an old one and rigged it on a sort of mechanical arm..made out of old machano heh. Now I have a new HUGE FAN on an adjustable arm that I can place anywhere cooling is kneaded. At the moment it is aimed in the general direction of the cpu, helping the cpu's own fan keep good airflow onto the heat sink.
Well it has worked greatly..and the cpu while overcloked..very rarely gets any higher than 45-48 degrees c..were it was reaching 55 to 60 degrees c before.
I know it's kind of an irregular fan and setup, but believe me it's doing the job well heh.
Anyway I just thought I would share the idea with you..Maybe if there is someone like me out there that is short for cash but kneading an extra cooling aid, they could give it a try.
I spliced its power supply wires to a spare power plug...the sort that goes into the back of a hardware device..like drive ..cdrom or floppy..and it works fine.
Well that’s it for now..see you all again.
Regards
Nemes

I did a similar job once. We were clearing a mates house, which they had previously rented out to someone. Anyway the guy had soooo many computers sitting outside in the rain....mainly 286, 386 and 486 comps I think.

Anyway needless to say I raided all the power supplies that I could get into.

In the end I had about 9 80mm fans and 2 40mm fans I took off 486 processors and 2 lovely 486 keychains :D

Nice job nemes as you I'm sure already know this type of a hobby can be very expensive. its usually much cheaper and more fun if you do things yourself. good job on the adaptation of that ps fan. I'd be intersted to see some pics if possible.

Never thought of that hrrmmm.
I will see if I can borrow someones digital camera and take a few snaps. Might take a while as I have no digital camera or scanner myself...but I think I will be able to manage it.
I will let you/forums no when I get some done.
Regards
Nemes

Back