• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use win2k pro as a server on a 3 computer network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosmic

I've been searching the forum, but haven't found the answer yet, so...

I have a friend with a small business that he is finally expanding into an office space soon. He wants to have a small network with a server and two workstations. They will be networked to eachother and share DSL with a router.

The server will only need to be a central location for word, excel, and database files BUT we would also like to have the server be a central location for e-mails. That's where I'm needing help.

The reason for needing one centralized and separate e-mail program that both computers can access is because all of the order confirmation e-mails needs to go to one place so that either workstation can view them at any time, move e-mails into specific folders, make notes in the subject of an e-mail, etc.

Can Outlook or Eudora be configured so that either one of the two workstations can access the e-mails on the server? What about if they're both trying to access it at the same time? Each workstation should have its own independent e-mail program, too.

I've read that you can get win2k pro to act like a server by turning on specific features. Can anybody tell me what I should turn on? I think that for the pretty UNdemanding application here that spending cash on win2k server seems excessive.

Hopefully I've explained myself well. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
K1

Windows 2k Pro will be fine for filesharing etc, i used 2k Pro on my server for a long time. Pro will allow you to host websites for external and internal use aswell.

I take it that you want to be able to have a combined in box and personal folders within outlook for both machines, but be able to send e-mail from either/all of them.

As far as i know you can't do this with any flavour of Windows 2k (Pro. Server, Adv Server) with out using Microsoft exchange or simalar software.

Thanks Red hot machine. I think you've got it right. The two workstations need to both be able to access a centralized inbox (and many other folders) and also be able to have their own private inboxes, for a total of three separate e-mail boxes but only one shared between the two. Exchange seems a little bit of overkill, and my friend wants to switch to Eudora, so hopefully Eudora Worldmail can do the trick.

I suppose if he wants to go REALLY low budget, that I could make a shortcut to the server's version of Eudora so that it could be run from the other machines...but it could be problematic if they're both trying to run it at the same time. I used to run my girlfriend's Eudora off her computer when she needed me to clean up her mail folders, so I know that it can be done. Hmmm...not really sure at this point, so I'll do more research.

Back