• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan List

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Altar

Registered
im about to build my first system, and before i do, i want to make sure i have everything i need. if anyone could just type up every fan i will need it would be appreciated.

also, and i know this is very dependable upon many other factors, any recommendation for a cheap but good case fan, and about how many would be recommended?

It depends on your case, the standard size case fan is 80x25mm.

It also depends on how fast and hot your system is going to run and what noise level you can tolerate. There are so many different fans out there. I really like the Sunon and Antec fans, I also have a 3000 rpm Zalman fan for my CPU that is quite good.

Every fan?
Well, as in the second part you mention case fans, i presume you're just talking about internal fans:

1x HSF fan (the fan to go on the heatsink on your processor)
1x GPU fan (the fan attatched to your graphics card)
1x PSU fan (the fan inside your power supple unit)
1x Chipset fan (optional. a fan for the chipset on your motherboard)
1x Front mounted intake fan (most cases have a little section at the front-bottom of your case for a fan to intake cold air. Put an 80mm here)

As for additional case fans, well i've got 6 in my case but DO NOT FOLLOW ME UNLESS YOU WANT A PC THAT SOUNDS LIKE A JET TAKING OFF!!!. If this is your first rig, and are not going to overclock/overclock minimally, you probably won't need any extra fans. If you want to overclock a lot, you can fit in several and eventually more high power ones. I would recommend, when you finally decide to add in more fans:
1x 80mm fan on the side of the case, intake, blowing cold air onto your motherboard (mobo). This should be placed lower down.
1x top mounted 80mm high-power fan on the top of your case as exhaust, sucking the hot air out. This should be about half way along, slightly to the back. However, these mods require cutting into your case with something like a dremal. This is not recommended until you know what you're doing.

Componants checklist:
* CPU (processor)
* HSF (heatsink and fan for processor)
* HDD (hard drive)
* FDD (floppy drive)
* optical drive (cd-rom, cd-rw, dvd-rom, etc)
* PSU (power supply unit)
* RAM (memory)
* Graphics card
* Sound card
* modem (optional)
* NIC (network adapter, optional)
* Case
* IDE/FDD cables
* mobo (motherboard)

Gook luck with your first build, and welcome to the forums!

ArBiTaL24.

Last edited:
Number of case fans depends a lot on your case. My antec case is kinda large has spots for 5 case fans so I have 2 front intake fans, 2 rear exhaust fans, 1 CPU HS/fan, 1 GPU HS/fan, PSU fan

A general system should have a front intake fan at minimum to allow some airflow. Air is drawn through the front of the case and vented out through the power supply. Adding a rear exhaust fan will allow for additional hot air expulsion.

Anything under 30db should be quiet

Before I watercooled my last rig I was up to 15 total fans! That's counting them all, hsf,hard drive coolers, gpu,pci slot front intakes side intakes, rear exhausts. Then I realized that I didn't need 2 90's, 2 60's, the psu fan and the pci slot to exhaust heat.

Back