• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Standard size 80MM with highest CFM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GotNoRice

I have an antec1030 case and I want to get 4 80MM fans with the highest CFM I can find. Catch is, it has to be standard size and not 38mm wide like a lot of the super-fans are. Reason is, they need to fit in the snap-in module that the fans snap into on the Antec 1030 case. Noise isn't an issue.

About the only high CFM standard size 80MM fan I have used is this one here 53CFM @ 39dB
Worked well and really didn't seem very loud

fans

Mechatronics 52cfm
Thermaltake Smartfan 1 (with mod) 53cfm
Sunon 48cfm

All are about 45 db.

The thermaltake fan has a thermistor on the side to control the speed based on ambient temperature. If you cut it off and reconnect the wires, it goes at full speed. I've got 3 or 4 of them in side panels or on SK7's.

so what about the tornado or the deltas? they are the highest cfm fans and hella noise to boot. the tornado comes in at 84.1cfm @ 55.2dba and the delta is something like 80cfm @ probably the same noise rating as the tornado. you said the snap in modules. you talking about the purple brackets that come with the antec, chieftec, etc. cases?
sidenote: the vantec tornado is actually made by sunon and the sunon part # is pmd1208pmb1. if you can find it, it is probably cheaper than buying the tornado.

Re: fans

Arkaine23 said:

<snip>
The thermaltake fan has a thermistor on the side to control the speed based on ambient temperature. If you cut it off and reconnect the wires, it goes at full speed.
<snap>

Instead of cutting the thermistor you can just shorten two pins it seats on by soldering a piece of wire on both of them.
No need to spoil a potentially useful feature,when you can always go back to a temperature controlled fan instead.

$.02

yeah they have to be 25mm (?) not 38mm like the high end delta's and tornado's. Otherwise they wouldn't fit into the fan holder modules.

Had my first run in with a Tornado this weekend at a computer show.

I knew what it was when I saw it, but have never seen on in real life. I placed my ear next to it and was shocked how silent it was.

Then I followed the wires and saw it was connected to a rheostat (duh…I thought it seemed a little weak too). My head was still close when I cranked it up and it looked like I was using a hair-dryer. Very loud and a lot of air.

Anyway, I have cases that use the old clip in the front and I bet it would fit. If not, I know I could mount it with screws instead. Check to see if you can use screws where the plastic mount goes.

Back