• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best P4 for the job

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoopyLee-C

Registered
I am just in the process of upgrading. I have decided on the Gigabyte GA-8IHXP motherboard. I have limited money after getting the board and would like to get a CPU that would clock well and not cost the earth. I am also in time going for the S/Edition 120gig hard drive to get better performance.

Any advice on the CPU would be a great help as I am keeping the below hardware in my new system to reduce cost.

My system has a Liteon 40X ide burner.
1 x 40gig 5400 H/Drive
1 x yamaha 16 burner skuzzy
1 x skuzzy card
2 x 128meg Samsung pc800
GF4 MSI 4200
1 x 550 PSU

Thanks Loopy:)

I was thinking more around the 2.2A but I would like the 533FSB. The price is the main thing. Just found a 2.4 Northwood at 533 FSB. Price is £155 inc vat in uk. can anyone find it cheaper ?

Last edited:
Just get the 1.8a if you're on a tight budget, it's the same thing as a 2.4b, only cheaper (both are 18X multiplier). If you run the 1.8a at 133 FSB, then "tada" you have a 2.4b CPU. Shhhh, Intel don't want you to know that secret. With good cooling, the majority of the later pack date 1.8a CPUs will do 150 FSB or 2.7 gig.

I have priced up the CPU`s and at £155 inc vat there is not much difference. I have checked the data base and the 2.4 will go to around the 3gig mark witch would be great compared to the crappy 1.4 i have at the min. I have hear that the 1.?a`s are a good clocking cpu so will keep my eye open for a good priced one.

Thanks Loopy.

Back