• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding@Home the cause of "crash to desktoping"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SBeaver

Yeah I used the graphical F@H and now Whenever I play a game the game starts and then disappears and I'm back on the desktop again but the game is still running but I cant get it open again.
Happens on pretty much all games

JetMech said:
FAH doesn't like your video setup. Run the console version and that won't happen.

Yeah, run the console for sure. No graphics problems and its nice and simple.

Nahh don't want that little dos windows bothering me.
I solved it in another way, I got the screensaver version instead.

the better choice is the console ver. there are many ways to hide the dos window. EM3, Tray-it, and Hide-it will all take care of the dos window. I use Tray-it and I use EM3. The screensaver is supposedly the worst of the three ways to fold. The graphical has problems with some video set ups. but the no nonsense console ver. is the recomended ver. of the Overclockers.com F@H team:D Good luck and if you need help hiding or traying the console ver. just let us know we are here to help:D Fold on!!!

SBeaver said:
Nahh don't want that little dos windows bothering me.
I solved it in another way, I got the screensaver version instead.

That is hurting your folding output a lot. The SS is a poor way to fold, and you might not make deadlines if its a slower box.

The DOS window won't bother you... just download EMIII and it will hide everything!

Kendan, your post got me going so I went out and found myself an app that does what I need.
The app actually creates a normal shortcut that minimizes the app to tray and even if I click that icon it doesnt show in taskbar!
I just put that shortcut in my startup folder in the start menu so now it works just as the windows version of folding, it even has the right icon.
It's caller "Trayer" btw, great app.

edit: Havn't been able to fold for months now when my machine has been out of order so now I'll have to catch up on the WUs

SBeaver said:
Kendan, your post got me going so I went out and found myself an app that does what I need.
The app actually creates a normal shortcut that minimizes the app to tray and even if I click that icon it doesnt show in taskbar!
I just put that shortcut in my startup folder in the start menu so now it works just as the windows version of folding, it even has the right icon.
It's caller "Trayer" btw, great app.

edit: Havn't been able to fold for months now when my machine has been out of order so now I'll have to catch up on the WUs

Cool. Em3 will launch it on start up and hide it. I also use tray it which I right click the x in the top right of the dos window it minimises to the tray. But the one you found sounds good. can you post a little note about it at www.folding.octeams.com . That way more people will know about it when we put it in the links section:D

I just use console & run FAH as a scheduled task - no dos window & it just folds in the background (WinXP)

Back