• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QTec copper HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neo Demi

Just got an XP 1.7 and what i beleived to be a copper HSF that does to 3.0ghz chips. everything on the box said it was copper, it looked coppery, it felt coppery. but then i lapped it to find it was aluminium! is this normal? the HSF is supposed to be a QTec COPPER.

When you lapped it, did you use an old peice of sandpaper which wasn't cleaned off well enough? What kind of metal buffing paste did you use for the super fine finishing polish? Some times, the metal polish you use might leave a residue like silver if it is for metal besides copper. If neither of these apply, you might have got hosed. :( Can you return it to where you bought it? Just a couple of quick thoughts.

well to buff it i used cerium oxide paste thats something close to 2500 grit :) -- my dad uses it when he works with gemstones, and it polishes them beautifully. The hsf was simply called 'Q-TEC COPPER TO 3000+XP' on the pricelist, i done some looking at qtecs site and found its not the copper one its the enhanced version of their original aluminium one for upto 2.0ghz chips, so im really gonna shout at the guys in the shop. all that lapping for nothing - worse, because it was aluminium, it looked shiny and scratch free, i thought wow. washed the grit off it, tidied up, then looked at it and it had a dull oxide layer over it! im really not in a good mood with these guys selling me the wrong hsf then it not keeping its finish i worked for about an hour to get.

Sorry for all of the trouble, but this just proves the need to have a place in your town (if you can find one) where you know the people and won't feed you a line of s***. The only thing that I can recommend is to maybe do a little more research and NEVER go with an off-brand UNLESS you have read a great review of it here or for one of the people on the board.

PS~ I'm not being preachy, just telling you what I have found out through my own poor reseach and desitions.

since it turns out that the hsf is still suitable for the chip i got (xp 1.7) im not to bothered, ive cooled down a bit and im going to email the place i got the hsf from and tell them to correct the problem, or face the wrath of many p****d of customers :)

and yeah i have learned from this experience, research into what im gonna get before i get it. that hsf was the only thing i didnt really look into. since its still suitable im not going for a refund, doubt theyd give me on anyways, coz i lapped it :O 'youve damaged the merchandise' i can just hear them 'no refund for you' despite the fact it would most likely work a hell of a lot better now. pity it tarnished though, aluminium looks amazing for the ten minutes before oxygen kills it.

Back