• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

voltage too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psyronin

Hello all. I just put together a new system and I'm getting around 12.9 volts on the 12V line while idle, rising to 13.2 and higher under load. Does anybody know if it's bad and if so what do I have to do to correct it?

More info
5V - 4.919
3.3V - 3.296
Vcore - 1.84
These voltages barely flunctuate, unlike the 12V line.

Hardware: Asus 7V8X KT400 m/b, Athlon XP 2100+, Crucial 512MB DDR PC2100, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80gig

At the moment I'm actually underclocking my CPU to 1.3Ghz as it reaches 56 Celsius idle with the stock HSF at the regular 1.7Ghz.

My PSU is a LPK2-30 400W.

I don't have a voltmeter or anything, I just go by the software utility that came with the m/b. Let's assume the readings are correct. What do I have to fear from the high voltage and what do I have to do to fix it? And what is the 12V used for anyway?

I tried that program. For the 12V line it says 13.07, and for the -12V line it says -13.66.

my 12v rail looks the same. Actually all my rails are high. I have no problems with my system my only issue is that my core voltage is always .06 higher than i set it too. its not a problem in the bios as I set the voltage on the chip. (stupid dfi board) so essentially if i set a 1.85 voltage it is actually measured by mbm5 as 1.91. as a result my temps are a little higher. its just something I account for. the onl;y othger thing i notice is that my fans run slightly faster than specced ie supposed to run at 5500 rpm runs at 5900-6000 rpm. nothing other thatn that. I guess you'd technically be overvolting your hard drives and cdroms but I think the difference be small enought to not cause any concern.

Back