• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1000 And Lots of spare time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NickLNitro

Registered
Ok i have saved up $1000 to put twoards a new PC i know i am going to get a Geforce4 4600, AMD Athlon XP 2ghz, 1gb of ram, and a 100gb hd. what i dont know is what kind of mobo to get and what i need to get a watercooling setup. What would you suggest i get for a overclockable mobo and for water cooling parts?

if you're buying an AMD system, you'd be INSANE not to go with an nforce 2 motherboard. if you want features like onboard sound, lan, serial raid, etc, go with the Abit or Asus versions. if you want pure raw ocability with very few features for a cheap price, the gigabyte board is for u.

as for watercooling that system, you should have plenty of headroom in price. therefore, i'd go with a White Water block from Cathar, a DD GF4 cooler for video, might as well get a chipset cooler from DD since you'll have the cash to burn. toss all that on an eheim 1250 with 1/2" tubing/fittings for everything and a Dtek heatercore with shroud. grab yourself a 1/2"T fitting from DD or Dtek, a 1/2" barb from home deopt, along with a faucet/toilet stopcock valve with a 1/2" fitting for the end of the T to allow filling/bleeding, and you're set.

if you want to save... you can always get some used water cooling parts from the classified section in this forum too.... and also other pc component as well.

Also recently I found AMD 2400+ selling on ebay for like US$160. They are retail box with 3 yr warranty and also they have good steppings like AIUGB

NForce2 is a good board that includes AGP 8x, USB 2.0, Firewire, Sound Storm, onboard LAN, AGP/PCI lock and also Dual Channel DDR.

Look at the Epox 8RDA+ NF2 motherboard. I have my 2400+ at 200x11.5 on air.

You really dont need 1GB of ram unless your really heavy into photoshop. 512M runs Windows XP nicely, and you could use that money to buy something else maybe a faster processer. For ram get yourself some Corsair 3500 and you should see above 200Fsb.

Get the asus

a7n8x
radeon 9700 pro
WD 8meg cache Hard disk
512 as fast as you can get ram. (probably corsair)
Athlon XP Tbred B (Find one that people have been getting good steppings and overclocks with lately.)

Going with the radeon 9700 over the gig of ram will give you more performance now and make an easier/cheaper upgrade later.

Mobo is 150
radeons what 300?
rams probably around 200
Cpu will be 75-300ish I'd guess
hard drives around 125

I'd wait until we see 17/18 00+ tbred b's with good steppings and go with that. Because everything else will be cheaper and that way you will save enough money on the cpu to get a good watercooling setup

Eheim pump (the 300something gph one) 65$
WW block (Never even seen one in person but there seems no debate over its superiority) probably 100-125$ after shipping and all that though I could be wrong
Heater core, fan, shroud, fittings $50
tubing and misc adaptors/fittings/clamps you'll need $25
Gpu cooler $30

Screw the chipset cooler. I've yet to find a chipset fan that's even audible much less irritating and there is no reason to watercool a chipset for temperature reasons. My passive aluminum heatsink on my a7v333 does just fine at 194 fsb. And its my graphics card that wont go higher... not the chipset.

It'll wind up being 1000-1250 I'd guess all told.

the ww block is actually like $90 shipped to the us, a little more I beleve but I dont think it reaches the $100 mark.

Ok well so far i've got:
AMD Athlon XP 2000 72.54
Epox 8RDA+ ~105.00
Corsair 512 3200 ddr ~180
Western Digital 80gb 7200 HD 94.79
CDROM/CDRW (Already Have) 0.00
eVGA Geforce4 TI 4600 ~210.00
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer (Already Have) 0.00
Floppy Drive (Already Have) 0.00
Aluminum Case 400w W/Blue Cold Cathode 2 case fans and
Window ~100.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
$770

That leaves about $230 for water cooling
Where is a good place i can buy all of the water cooling parts?

That athlons a palimino. If your overclocking dont get it. A 1800 Tbred A would blow it away.

Im fairly sure that mobo ONLY has a 1/5 fsb/pci dividor. No 1/6 and no pci lock. Again if you're overclocking dont get it. You MIGHT get 200fsb if you're lucky. But I'd bet with a pci lock and that ram, that 250fsb would be possible.

Ram and hard disk look fine. But for 100$ I'd get a nice high quality steel case and name brand (Sparkle or Antec are my choices) power supply 350watt or more. I'm guessing your getting a pretty cheap aluminum case and a worthless power supply for that 100$

I think WW has to be bought directly from cathar. (Pm him)

Dtek's pretty good for the other stuff. And I believe Neomoses has some good prices on tubing and barbs and adaptors in classifieds.

Heater core can be had from an auto parts shop

Shroud can be made yourself (a few posts detail how and there are some articles kicking abut as well.)

ok now i've got:

AMD (?) 80.00
AsusTek A7N8X ~116.00
Corsair 512 3200 ddr ~180
Western Digital 80gb 7200 HD 94.79
CDROM/CDRW (Already Have) 0.00
eVGA Geforce4 TI 4600 ~210.00
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer (Already Have) 0.00
Floppy Drive (Already Have) 0.00
Antec KS288.350 350w psu ~95.00
---------------------------------------------------------------------
$770
That leaves about $230 for water cooling

Cathar's White Water block $90
Heater Core $30
Pump $40
Danger Den Geforce4 water block w/ ramsinks $70
----------------------------------------------------------
$0 left
Now where can i get an AMD 1.8Ghz T-bird? for $80 or less?

damn I donno if I would spend $90 on just the waterblock, get a maze or swifty for like half that, or just make your own white water block for $10.

Back