• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it time for a new CD-ROM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Well, this is what happens. When you put a cd in it, it will run it (spin it) for about 10 secs. Then it will spin the cd then stop (I guess it could be coasting) every 5 secs. I tested this trying to form a CD image with Nero, and the read speed was changing from 32x to 4x every 5 secs. It's a Acer 40x CD-ROM and I am using drivers that came with XP. So do you think it's time for a new one?

hmm i dont know but all i know is my 52x has blown up a couple cds in its time and i still use it. kinda wierd it starts spinning really fast then BOOM the cd explodes into a million pieces and i have to take apart the dive and clean it out.

Does it do this with every disc? Is the disc damaged or dirty? And, the biggie, does it pick up the data despite these speed cycles?

I've seen a couple of drives do this before they took a dirt nap, and I've seen some do this on slightly dirty or scratched CDs and run for years if the disc was clean and undamaged. If it is doing this consistently, I'd start looking for a new drive. But if its only on a couple of discs, that is probably your problem.

Oh, and Q---lemme get this right: Your drive has grenaded more than one CD? Maybe its just me, but after one disc went boom I'd be reconsidering moving up from that antique, Amish 32x. ;)

BHD

Well it's doing it with every disk, old ones, new ones, and clean (not scratched up) ones. Guess I'll look into getting a new one. You have any suggestions?

In my experience Teac ROM drives work better than anything short of a Plextor. But again, the reliablity isn't what it was a couple of years ago. Newegg has their 52x CD-ROM for $36 or the 16x DVD for $52.

If you want an optical drive that will run for years, run a SCSI setup. I have a Toshiba 32x SCSI CD-ROM and a Plextor 8 x 20 CD-R in this rig, and I swear it would take a claw hammer to kill them.

BHD

Hmm so Teac or Plextor huh...and maybe I will look into getting a DVD drive, now you got me thinking ;)

BTW, what happens if you use your SCSI drive in a Clawhammer CPU system? ;)

Thanks for the help

Tipycol

If you are getting a new one get I would recommend getting a LiteOn. Relatively cheap and very good.

Besides why not get a CDRW? In my experience these are better at reading than plain CDROMs and as a "bonus" you can write CDs too! LiteOn 40X12X48 for $52 at newegg.

Back