• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to paint over drive lettering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
I dont want to sand the roughness of my CDroms off. But i do worry about the writing on my drives 'ghosting' thru.

Any idea of how not to have this problem?

Maybe try many thin thin coats of paint. Keep putting coats on until you cannot see the lettering anymore. I don't know, just a suggestion.

ok you can by these great sponges invented by a german company invented...can't tell you the name cos it's Muscle Boy here in Japan! :D But they are used for polishing Aluminum work surfaces, I used one of these to remove the logo's and lettering on my drive days before i sprayed them and it also keeps the finish of the drives them selfs......also you can totaly sand down your drive bays so they are smooth spray but not wet sand to a polish ...this way you will keep the orange peel affect that the paint natuarly leaves.

If you want i can take a photo of the sponge so you can see what i mean

FarEast said:
ok you can by these great sponges invented by a german company invented...can't tell you the name cos it's Muscle Boy here in Japan! :D But they are used for polishing Aluminum work surfaces, I used one of these to remove the logo's and lettering on my drive days before i sprayed them and it also keeps the finish of the drives them selfs......also you can totaly sand down your drive bays so they are smooth spray but not wet sand to a polish ...this way you will keep the orange peel affect that the paint natuarly leaves.

If you want i can take a photo of the sponge so you can see what i mean

I think I know the type of sponge you are talking about. As you use it it falls apart very easily like an oversized rubber eraser? And a pic is cool.

Oni, I do have some 91% rubbing alcohol. I will actually try that now.

chittnp, even with the primer I am afraid I still may get some ghosting as the 2 surfaces (lettered and unlettered) have 2 different textures.

ziptieboy, Thanx, I was thinking of 2 coats primer then fog about 5+ paints of finish.

I will be using flat/satin paint to it may be either very forgiving or a complete mess.

stompah said:

I think I know the type of sponge you are talking about. As you use it it falls apart very easily like an oversized rubber eraser? And a pic is cool.

Those are the ones!! I will take a picy tomorrrow 4 you

Back