• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best brand to go wireless?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warren G

im going to build a new computer soon and give the current one to my sis and i was wondering which wireless router would be the best for these two computers to share cable connection. i was thinking the d-link airplus 2.4ghz 22mbs. is there any other brand or company that is better? or what is the best brand (affordable though)?

D-Link is pretty cool. Just make sure you buy all D-link cards if you wanna take advantage of the Airplus feature. But if I had money to spend, I'd buy all Cisco 350 series wireless products. I like their proprietary securtiy feature and they use the 1200 AP and 350 wireless bridges at my work.

I've got the D-Link myself. And as long as you're using all AirPlus cards, you get the 22mbps and you can't beat that 256 bit encryption.

Lucent Orinoco

Lucent Orinoco

They have the best range I have ever seen. I can hit my home AP500 from 2 blocks away with out antenna's going through 4 walls in my house.

Re: Lucent Orinoco

TypeRC said:
Lucent Orinoco

They have the best range I have ever seen. I can hit my home AP500 from 2 blocks away with out antenna's going through 4 walls in my house.

Are you running just the Orinoco card or using their router also...just wanted to know.

Have done Both. Hands down I love and only use the Orinoco USB/PCMCIA Wireless Nic's. I have used a Linksys Wireless AP and got twice the range I was getting when using the Linksys Wireless NIC's. Right now I use both the Orinoco Nic's and Wireless Access Point. I'm able to connect an external antenna to both units and I'm able to share my internet connection and files with friends/neibors 2 miles away.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

<sMiLeY>
([email protected])

Back