• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what about this kit...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
matt2364 said:
what do you think of this kit
herer

If you really want to spend 200 on it without doing it yourself then go for it. It's a kit made for convienence more or less. You could do alot better if you spent that money picking the parts yourself and still come in around 100 or so and get better performance for your money..

Innovatek is pretty decent from what I'v heard but never tried it for myself. The rad is easy to mount, possibly fit anywhere. It wouldn't be as good as a heater core though. The pump pretty good. The block I heard was good but I just don't like the way it uses the clips but if it's all you got then it works.

Just my opinion though. Spend the money on a custom setup tailored for performance because it cost less.

kits are ok for moderate water cooling performance. to see a good improvement over aircooling with a ready made water kit i would recomend buying from the high end of the pricing scale. if you want the most out of your water cooling setup, pick the parts yourself (there are guides all over this forum), and you can achieve temps very near ambient air temperature - thats my definition of a good water cooling setup, something most ready made kits wont give you. however the convenience and ease of buying an entire package can be attractive, especially for those who consider the real fun to be using and not building. if you see buying the package as the best choice i would spend and extra 50-100 dollars more to get the best one in order to see worthwhile results otherwise your entire investment may be wasted. if you are looking to build a great watercooling system and save, then DIY is your best bet.

that kit has a few cons...

the tubing is crap

the pump is OK but if you start adding more blocks (video or others), a more powerful pump would be better.

radiator is not great. OK but not great

Nick C said:
kits suck, period

I guess its not to bad but kits suck.

Why do you all do that? If someone gathers really good parts, just like people recomend here, and sell them as a kit, would that not be good? Why do you trash kits out of hand?

GO HERE
http://www.aquastealth.com/
*blaze copper WB and socket A clip
*Black & Chrome HeaterCore Radiator
*Delta 120mm Ball Bearing Fan with Power connector and fan screws
*Assembled Via Aqua 1/2" pump, 1/2" Fill T
*7 feet of MasterKlear 1/2" Tubing
All for $99.

Looks like the exact same parts that many here recomend seperately, and at a price close to what you could part it out for.

But to the origional question, on the posted kit,
A) The kit looks too expensive

B) a "heatercore" design radiator will generally give better cooling performance than the "looped copper tube" designed radiator that is included here

C) I can't tell from the pictures, but I do not SEE a shroud, it looks like the fan is bolted directly on to the radiator. This generally leaves dead space with no air blowing on part of the radiator.

So it looks expensive, has a poor radiator, and seems to be put together poorly.

the guy isnt spamming, but he could have made one thread "help me" or "n00b needs help" or whatever, but its not a BIG deal, its just a small deal

Simply because most kits do "suck", either with poor performance, or poor quality, sometimes resulting in leaks or both. You can pretty much always get better performance for cheaper when you DIY with knowledge gained from taking the time to read up on the concepts of watercooling.

It also depends on what your goals are. Some better quality kits would be desireable if you have the money to waste, don't care about better performance, and just want something easy to install with matched components.

Can O' Beans said:
Simply because most kits do "suck", either with poor performance, or poor quality, sometimes resulting in leaks or both. You can pretty much always get better performance for cheaper when you DIY with knowledge gained from taking the time to read up on the concepts of watercooling.

It also depends on what your goals are. Some better quality kits would be desireable if you have the money to waste, don't care about better performance, and just want something easy to install with matched components.

See the kit I posted above. And there are other stores that sell similar kits. There ARE stores that go out, collect great watercooling parts, and sell them at great prices.

The inoveteck, swiftech, koolance, etc. kits have indeed tested and performed poorly compared to heatercore based parted out systmes, and, once long ago, were the only "kits" available. These systems have given "kits" a bad name.

Key is, TODAY, there are many good, high quality part kits available for watercooling, that are comparable to DIY parted systems.

And no, no matter how much reading is done here is going to enable an incompetent tools person to modify the barbs on an auto heatercore. I DON'T OWN A SAW. I HAVE NEVER EVER USED A SAW. So a simple " just saw the barbs off and weld the barb of your choice" is just not realistic. Complete DIY is just not an option for some folks. Comercial kits have heatercores and pumps that perform just as good as a DIY parts, and don't need further modifications.

The other point I would like to make is the satement "kits are no good" is just not helpful. As I point out above, the statement is just not true. Even if you think it IS true, it doesn't help the noob out. Point out WHY a particular kit is poor. Tell that you think the tubing is too narrow, or is prone to kinks, or WHY the radiator is poor, or that the pump will have a poor flow rate. "Kits are no good" is just not helpful, and leaves a noob frustrated.

If you're going to take the time to post, why not take the time to help someone learn?

a KIT is usually good for somebody who's totally new with cooling and wants something quiet and simple to install. ITs not everybody who want to do researchs on what kind of adapters to get to use X size of tubing for Y parts...

Fact is, most people aren't maniacs who push their cpu to the limit. We are only a small group among this huge community filled of computer users.

Innovatek and DangerDen make the best kits.

Water block manufactures know their kits aren't the most performant. Swiftech could take away their vinyl tubing and change with Tygon if they would but they know about the people buying total H20 kits. People buying total H20 kits won't push their cpu to the limit. (to the limit of the KIT I should say lol)

They do not ignore the fact that hardcore users choose on their own part for their setup. All they do is grab attention to newcommers who want to see what it feels like to have Water flowing in a pc and innovatek are doing a damn good job cause overall their product is great quality.

Thats just my 2 cents...

Back