• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! K7S5A w/ 1700+ model 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Well, I am in the middle of building a computer for someone else, and about a week ago I recieved the processor from newegg.com. In the package it informs me that it is a model 8. AMD says the K7S5A is only supported for the model 6. I emailed newegg.com and I guess you can only return it with in 7 days. I suppose I can try and return the mobo but every mobo that supports the model 8 is more expensive.

Has anyone ran the K7S5A w/ a model 8 for an extended peiod of time? If so what has happends? What do you all think I should do?

Thanks,
Bryan

That would be the Thouroughbred model with .13 micron design.
It should work if the mainboard is fairly new. If not you will need to find a processor to put in there temporarily and flash to a newer bios.

Hey PDL, what's the highest you can get your vcore to?
What's your max o/c with that cpu/mobo?

maxima88 said:
Hey PDL, what's the highest you can get your vcore to?
What's your max o/c with that cpu/mobo?

Well, that's complicated. I've been switching stuff so much it varies.
At this moment I am running the 1 gig T-Bird B with PC2700
9x166.68 FSB
Vcore goes up to about 1.97 but I am running at 1.90 now. The higher Vcore was not letting me go to a higher speed. This bird maxes out at 1500 while still being stable. I used to run it at 10x150 with PC133, but it was flakey.
On another system, before I botched a mod, I was running an XP1600 Palamino with the PC133 and it too was running at 166 FSB.:cool:

How is that A7V333 doing, or have you changed to something else?

Before I knew the processor wasn't supported for it I booted it up formated the drive and stuff. It worked ok (very very low temp for me like 35C, very idel of course). Anyways, your saying if I flash the bios I should be able to run it fine with no problems?

I have my 1.4 Athlon I could put in it, though I don't want to mess with it but it's alot better then buying a new processor.

Thanks,
Bryan

Back