• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrive Fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Altar

Registered
some people have harddrive fans, yet no one seems to think they're needed. i will have a 7200 rpm hdd-- i would like some input on whether or not to get one.

Altar said:
some people have harddrive fans, yet no one seems to think they're needed. i will have a 7200 rpm hdd-- i would like some input on whether or not to get one.

Well, I have them on all my drives. I tend to look at it this way....Cant Hurt;)

Al

Re: Re: Harddrive Fan?

Maximouse said:

Well, I have them on all my drives. I tend to look at it this way....Cant Hurt;)

Al

I agree you can never have too much cooling unless everything in your case is frosting over :D

i would have told you they were useless a week ago... however in the past week i woke up in the morning to a hard drive that i had begun defragging over night and it was hot as heck and making crappy sounds. needless to say it was dead, of course this probably has more to do with faulty hardware, but i guess it might not have died if it didnt get so hot. so i guess they might save you from an unexpected cost later but in normal situations they probably arent needed.

piece of advise: stear clear of ibm deskstar/deathstar.

I have a hard drive cooler on my seagate plus it is in the 3.5 in drive cage on my Chieftec case with an 80mm intake blowing right on it from the front. I'd say that cooling is sufficient enough :D

I use to think anything over a 40 gig needs a cooler. But after touching my 30 gig (I fold so the thing is NEVER turned off) it was pretty hot.

So after adding a cooler too it, I'd say it dropped at least 15-20 degrees.

I had an 80 gig (see sig) that start to click pretty bad. Turns out that sucker would run pretty damn hot. I added a cooler but it still died though. :(
$.02
Rob

Nah its not neccessary.... I have a 40gig Maxtor and its turn on like 4hrs a day. And when I touch it its like body heat only. Mayb you do need one but I don't cause I have 4 fans right in front of it.

Back