• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it safe to leave a laptop on 24/7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

desipher

Registered
first off, let me say I leave my laptop on ALL day, and ALL night. Its the computer that shares the net with the entire network in my home. This way I can download files all night long when i sleep.

Anways on to the question. Is it safe to leave this puppy on all day? Or are laptops no different then desktop PC's?

A well designed laptop will have no problem. You should be fine.

Some of the Compaqs I have seen were not well designed and overheated if left on for more than 30 minutes.

the only part i would really be worried about is the screen, they aren't built to be on more then a few hours at a time

I have had my DELL 4000 on for many days at a time under full load on and off for a few years and it was a fefurb I did have to have my screen replaced but that was 1 week after I got it after that no problems My DELL has been used as a home computer and a work computer so it runs about 16hr a day most times

I left my laptop on for three weeks straight, most of the time at full load running seti, and didn't have any problems. Except for the very short battery life, I've had very good luck with my Sony Vaio.

Back