• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New F@H client released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Linux and Windows 3.24 clients are through with testing and can be downloaded from http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html . Thanks for all who helped by testing it and providing feedback. The Macintosh 3.24 client will be released once its ongoing beta is complete.
Below is the final (long) change log. (There are a 2 items that mention that they will start working as we update our servers and start new projects, and this will pick up steam at the new year.)
Enjoy,
Guha

- Benchmarking improved in consistency and uniformity.
- Support for sending a measure to the assignment server of time taken on past work units (a weighted average), to use as a predictor of how large a work unit can be handled. Can view this measure using verbosity 4 after finished units, but AS not using yet.
- If bad arguments given, will exit only after a key press.
- If upon startup, FAHlog.txt exceeds 50Kb and a is to be started, the old one is retained under the name FAHlog-Prev.txt.
- Deadline information included with work (Printed to unitinfo.txt and available in queueinfo). Active units checked for expiration periodically all others checked for expiration at autosend time. Configuration option of ignoring deadline information (to use if system clock is bad -- not just telling incorrect absolute time, but having an incorrect conception of what one second is, for instance) if so desired.
- MyFolding.html page written out by client with useful links (which Linux and Win. console users did not have easy access to before)
- In making request to server for work, inform on whether have units done
waiting to be uploaded to server. If so, servers running new code will
give a new unit instead of giving same (servers will shift over as projects
come up).
- If a work unit is rejected for any reason, server now returns reason
to client, which prints it out. (In this client, and servers will transition
to the new code as projects come online.) If work unit is fatally flawed,
then deleted from queue.
- "Could not transmit unit" statement now also includes date unit was
completed ("Could not transmit unit x (Completed xxxx)").
- Checks for bad URL, port on reception of work unit, deleting it before
even starting work if bad.
- Time stamp on every line of FAHlog.
- Arguments to client printed to log.
- Some log messages modified (like the requested, and deserved, "Thank you"
added!). Some further spacing changes may be desired.
- File "unitinfo.txt" printed and updated, with information and progress
for current work unit. (Had been requested for use by 3rd party people.)
- Client FAHlog output overhauled to use Windows API functions. (Interested
in hearing if you see any change in performance, particularly from those
Win95/98 users who said log froze sometimes.) Log file is locked for
writing by other programs while client running.
- Networking overhaul to give a Configuration option of using whatever proxy settings are used by Internet Explorer.

GUI specific-
- If choose "Ask before networking" in Configuration, will take effect
even on next get work, without restart needed.
- "Status" menu item to launch MyFolding.html.
- "Status" menu item to view queueinfo added.
- Bug fixed where if click off systray menu, menu did not disappear.
- Tool tip on systray icon now gives program status (including work
progress if currently working)
- When move mouse over hyperlink portions of display, mouse icon becomes a hand.
- Bug fixed where if move display, then the links at the bottom of the
display (ticker tape ones) did not always work.
- Menu item ("Status") added to give easy access to Team Stats page, User Stats page, and Logfile.

Console specific-
- Answers to Configuration questions now validated. One letter answers (i.e. "y" or "Y" instead of "yes") allowed.

FOLD ON
NAS

Is the file an upgrade? or do we have to uninstall this one, and reinstall?

Coz, im almost done with a wu, and i dont wanna ditch it :|

Thanks,
-Bubba

bubba gump said:
Is the file an upgrade? or do we have to uninstall this one, and reinstall?

Coz, im almost done with a wu, and i dont wanna ditch it :|

Thanks,
-Bubba

This time its a direct replacement for the current exe. Some people like to clean out the folder when them upgrade, but I don't see a need to. Stanford said they'd inform us if a direct replacement doesn't work.

I just shut down the console, replaced it with this one, and started it up again. No problems at all, and I didn't lose the currecnt WU.

Yeah I upghraded while folding a WU. I didn't lose it, it just kept on folding that puppy.

I'm drunk and I need sleep. goodnight and a merry Christmas to all!!!

:santa: :beer:

Back