• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How High can this Puppy go???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trikotret

Hey All,
I just gota new motherboard Asus P4PE and an Intel 2.53 533 bus. So far I've been able to overclock it to 2.85 with no crashes in 3dMark. The vcore is on auto but shows its 1.62v in the motherboard monitor and the memory voltages are auto also. My question is how high can I overlcock since I only have 2x256 crucial PC2100 memory. I was surprised that I was able to run 3dmark @150 fsb. :D

Intel 2.53 (Packed on 11/08/02) 33C Idle and 40C Load
Asus P4PE/L
Stock Heat Sink
Crucial 2x256 PC2100
Visiontek TI4400
Win Xp pro
Quantum 40gb

Thanks
Mike

I have that CPU as... well atleast the pack date is the same. I received a 2.53 SL6EV B0 stepping. I haven't tested it's overclocking abilities because it's a Christmas present :). Could you tell me what stepping your CPU is, that would be much appreciated. Also, were you able to get to 2.85 at default voltage (I believe that's what you said). If so, that's fantastic. BTW, the Asus temp probe is a bit off and it has been a problem unresolved. Best wishes.

Unless the P4PE has a memory divider greater than 1:1, which I doubt, your memory is the limit on your overclock. At 1:1, your memory will be running at 266 when your FSB is 133 and go up proportionately. DDR266 probably can't go much above 300 (fsb 150), although it really depends on the manufacturer, the memory timings, the number of slots, etc.. I have a stick of Mushkin DDR400 that won't go over 410. IMHO, If you want to take that 2.53 above 3.0, which is very do-able, you'll need to get faster memory. And I have heard that one stick is always better than two.

goatzool said:
Unless the P4PE has a memory divider greater than 1:1, which I doubt, your memory is the limit on your overclock. At 1:1, your memory will be running at 266 when your FSB is 133 and go up proportionately. DDR266 probably can't go much above 300 (fsb 150), although it really depends on the manufacturer, the memory timings, the number of slots, etc.. I have a stick of Mushkin DDR400 that won't go over 410. IMHO, If you want to take that 2.53 above 3.0, which is very do-able, you'll need to get faster memory. And I have heard that one stick is always better than two.
You are exactly right. I can't go over 150 fsb. Above that it'll lock. For now I'm happy with 2.85 since eveything is at default. Regarding the memory timings, they are at default too. I've been using the motherboard montior instead of the Asus probe. My CPU is a SL6EG stepping. Once I get new memory and a better heat sink, I think I'll be hitting over 3.0ghz:D

Thanks
Mike

Back