• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another RAID question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

First off, I did do a search, but I want to get this stuff confirmed. If I am going to run RAID 0 on my computer (KT3 mobo with NO raid controller) I am going to have to buy a RAID controller right? Now lets say I have 2 80 gig harddrives. Can I run them off one cable? Like have one as the master and one as the slave, but they would be running on RAID on the RAID card, right? If Im going to set up a RAID, I just hook up both disks, boot up, and put my windowz disk in, and when it says Im gonna be running a raid array on the bottom, I just press the key it tells me to and I follow the steps right? Thanks. Setting up a RAID isnt that hard is it? :p

It isn't that hard, but whatever you do, don't try to run RAID-0 on a single IDE cable. A single HDD would probably be faster. IDE can communicate with only one device at a time. You'd be losing the source of the additional speed by connecting both drives to the single cable.

Alright, I went out and bought another 80 gig harddrive. SO I have 2 80 gig harddrives just sitting here waiting to be used in a raid. Has ant one ever used the TEKRAM ULTR ATA 100 DC-200 RAID CONTROLLER? Is is a good card? Im am thinking about getting it. Thanks.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50199130
***edit*** What about this one at compusa:

Its a SIIG

Last edited:
if u run win 2k or xp pro i think u can set the drives up as a virtual (dynamic?) raid device using the built-in software but like Xaotic said ide can only accses one device on one bus ie one disk at a time. The windows software raid is better suited to scsi but if u wana play its an idea.

when i first set up my raid i used norton ghost to put all my data on to a seperate disk then i ghost my boot disk and data on to the raid setup. (when seting up my drives it was nesicery to wright all zeros to the disks while creating an arry... This would lose the data on the disk.) remember u get what u pay for.
2 x 133 = 266 MB/s thats a lot of cours it won't manage it but if it did i think it would flood the pci bus which i think is 132 MB/s at standard frequency. (32 bit / 8 bits to a byte = 4bytes
4bytes*33 mhz = 132 mega bytes a second)

Last edited:
Back