• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 1700 XP dead ;|

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dat

Registered
I recently unlocked my CPU by filling in the pits with red car touch up paint and connecting the L1 bridges with the usual conductive paint, everything worked fine first go which i was rather pleased about.

Then today i got a new case for Xmas, after transfering all my hardware to the new case i took off my heatsink and fan and placed a thermistor in between the heatsink and CPU just to the right of the core. I went to boot and for the first time in the new case and nothing..... no post, just fans and hd noise :(

The one thing i did do was i managed to get some thermal grease on my CPU, would this effect it in anyway?

Now i have scrubed off the paint and it still doesnt post, i know its the CPU because my old duron 850 works in the same pc.

Is my CPU definately dead? is there something i can do to try and salvage it? what could i have broken?

Please help as it has made my Xmas rather annoying to say the least...

Thanks in advance,

Dat

Try it out in another motherboard. If that doesn't work, try and clean it completely to the best of your ability. And hope that all goes well.

How should I clean it? and what should i use?

Its not the motherboard btw because my duron works in that motherboard.

Thanks,

Dat

Same thing happened to my Duron 1.2ghz.

I got thermal paste on the chip itself, turned it on and never came back up, but my motherboard still worked.

Just now i have my XP 1700+ tbred in here :)

Yea, it is deal, please send it to me so I can make a key chain out of it. I will pay you 5 dollars and send you an airbill. All you will ahve to do is call airborne express and they will piock it up.

There is no physical damage that i can see to the CPU itself, i have cleaned the L1 bridges of all paint that i could see, and reset the bios with no post.

What else should i clean? the pins? or just the top of the CPU?

Im hoping its not dead, but i fear the worst....

Thanks for all the replies :)

Dat

It never hurts to clean off the whole CPU including the substrate as well as the die. Make sure you use acetone and let it completely evaporate prior to reassembling the system. Do you have another motherboard you can test it in?

~THT

Unforunately i dont have another mobo to test it in :(

But i will do as you say and try once more, if still nothing i will take it that its dead.

One thing i did remember after taking a look at it is that i removed one of the soft pads that are on the CPU, i guess i could of crushed the core after all :(

Thanks.

Dat

Just thought i would say i got angry an bought a new CPU on my card instead :D

now i got a 2100 XP :)

Back