• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

relay pump start up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smudged

Does anybody want to tell me a simple (really simple would be better) way to wire up a relay to start a water cooling system.

I will be buying into water soon but want to have the whole thing come on with one push of a button.

Also I have found some plans for a bay bus for the case fans in my Lian-Li which should cut down on background noise when surfing etc. What I was wondering was if I cut-out the 80mm chimney fan and install my radiator/120mm in the case top, do you think it is better to have air expelled through the radiator and out of the case (pushing warm(ish) air through the rad.) or suck the cooler air into the case via the rad?

I want to keep the two 80mm fans which cool the HDD cage in the lower portion of the tower, so there's no where else to put the rad. Except outside the case maybe, but that is not very tidy.

thanks guys

Swiftech has a nice one, it came with my kit also and realy like it.

Pump Relay Switch kit
Because the pump runs on A/C, a 12 volt relay switch is provided to allow you to use your computer on/off switch to control the pump: when the computer is turned on, the relay switches the A/C current to the pump on, and when the computer is turned off, the relays switches the power off. An A/C socket, A/C cord, and a mounting plate are provided with the relay to complete a professional installation. The relay is compatible with 110 or 220 VAC

Swiftech

PRS_kit.gif

Pumps are designed for 24/7 operation. There's really no need for relays. I run mine continuously. I just wired the pump cord and computer power cord into ONE plug, to prevent powering up the computer with the pump off.

Bit-tech.net recently had an article with more then you ever wanted to know about hooking up a pump to a computer. Relay, socket, flow switch, the works!

Veland said:
Bit-tech.net recently had an article with more then you ever wanted to know about hooking up a pump to a computer. Relay, socket, flow switch, the works!

Yea, but 23,293 brains are better than a few. All the questions anyone could possible ever ask can be answered right here at OverClockers.

RonnieG said:
Pumps are designed for 24/7 operation. There's really no need for relays. I run mine continuously. I just wired the pump cord and computer power cord into ONE plug, to prevent powering up the computer with the pump off.

I understand that the pumps can run 24/7, but some do turn their computers off and if they do, you do not want the pump running. Depending on the pump, your water temps can be over 50c at boot up. Having a pump left on, some system because of the nature of having high FSB in combination with high multiplier will not boot.

Personally my system is a 24/7 system as I fold.

thanks for the feedback

I was wanting to use a relay because my girlfriend uses the computer aswell as me and I just dont want to take chance of her forgeting the pump and burning the guts out of my rig. I thought that the pump would be OK 24/7 but I also thought the fan would need to be running keep the water cool....as dodge said.

Dodge: I am in the UK it might not be economical for me to buy the relay off you thanks very much for the offer and the advice though, I appreciate it!

BTW. I was thinking of just going the easy route and getting a Innovatech water kit. You got any thoughts?

smudged said:
thanks for the feedback

I was wanting to use a relay because my girlfriend uses the computer aswell as me and I just dont want to take chance of her forgeting the pump and burning the guts out of my rig. I thought that the pump would be OK 24/7 but I also thought the fan would need to be running keep the water cool....as dodge said.

Dodge: I am in the UK it might not be economical for me to buy the relay off you thanks very much for the offer and the advice though, I appreciate it!

BTW. I was thinking of just going the easy route and getting a Innovatech water kit. You got any thoughts?

Tell you want, put $5.00 in my PayPal to cover shipping, I will let you have the relay for free. How's that for an offer. I can send Global Priority United Postal Service for $5.00 anywhere. This offer is for SMUDGED ONLY....

Last edited:
Back