• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Me = Linux idiot. I need help. And maybe medication

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
I really want to give this Linux thing a try, but have found out I know very little. This is the story. I wander over to LinuxISo_Org and decide on Mandrake 9.0, and download the the following file-"Mandrake90-cd1-inst.i586" and the other two disc. I burn it to cd, restart the computer, set my cd-rom as first boot device, save and exit the bios, I hear the cd-rom make the spinny noises. This next part is where I get stumped.... NON BOOTABLE DISC, PLEASE INSERT BOOT DISC AND YADA YADA YADA. I downloaded all three disc and I'm under the impression the first disc is the install disc. I'm so used to being able to throw in a windows disc and run with it that i'm not even sure how to install linux. What do I need to do to get this installed? I have no idea.

This is the system in your sig, right? If so, a modern system like that ought to be capable of boot from CD.

While creating the disks, did you tell your burning program to create a cd from an image, or did you just burn the iso to the disk? The latter way will not work, you have to specify that its an image.

*chuckle*

Off topic but I just got the Red Hat Linux 7.3 Bible and it is loaded w/ info and looks to be very n00b friendly(I'm half n00b i guess, lol, I an use it to program, read mac disks, and surf da web, dats it:) maybe I'll have my server set up tonight as I instal RedHat7.3)

Back