• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with the CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnnyw

Hello there, my cousin has a problem so I thought I'd post it here for you guys to give him some advice..

The problem is the following: He had a regular CPU fan which began to fail, so he bought a new one (he has a PIII 866) which was much bigger (although he told the vendor that he had a PIII 866 and he was given such heatsink+fan). Well, we both attempted to change it and found it really hard to clasp the new heatsink, but we finally succeeded with the help of a screwdriver. A couple of minutes later, while he was using the computer in regular manners, we heard a loud noise; he disconnected everything and found the new heatsink+fan out of place. It seems the spring was too strong or whatever, and consequently the small plastic "tab" on the socket where the heatsink is connected to detached from it (it was broken). Not knowing what to do, since it is ridiculous to think of changing the entire mobo for a small plastic piece, he phoned a technician and the guy stuck the old heatsink (which was smaller) with the new fan. He used some sort of rubber glue (when solid it looks like rubber), and it can supposedly be removed if necessary.
The temperatures seem to be around 35 when idle and around 46 when loaded, but the odd thing is that when my cousin is, for example, doing several tasks at a time, or playing some game, the computer freezes or just reboots (if playing music, the music skips for some seconds then it freezes or reboots)..

Well, I'd really appreciate any comments on this problem, if anything stated is wrong and thus is the cause of the trouble, or if there are any solutions.

Thank you very much!!

~Johnnyw

ps: As my cousin does not have an overclockers.com forum account, he would really appreciate if anybody finding a solution or knowing of some good advice to directly mail him at [email protected]

Again, thanks a lot, and best of lucks!

that HS is NOT mounted right, if you notice, there should be 3 tabs on each side of the socket that the cpu sits in, try and find a heatsink that can use 3 tabs EACH, such as the SLK800 from thermalright~
spyder

a post here, and in tech, you have one in processors, too? ;)

Back