• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7N8X & Corsair XMS problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmyq

I've had people tell me that when they tried to install Corsair XMS memory, they can't install the XMS memory without putting in an old stick of DDR and setting the memory timings to manual, then changing them to the Corsair settings, then putting the XMS in and running it. Does anyone else have this kind of problem where they have to do that, or has everyone else been able to just go straight to XMS memory first?

that can be a issue occasionaly,
All that happens is upon first boot the Bios auto detects the Ram and defaults it to Cas 3 which the XMS isnt programed for that slow a setting,
so the system wont boot. the fix is to put in a stick of memory that will do cas 3 (most all other ram) and set the cas back to 2 save exit and install the XMS ram and all is well :)

Mine booted up with the XMS3200 first shot.

I believe the problem was with a particular batch of XMS that had slightly different timings programmed into the spd on the dimm module. The mobo and ram wouldn't work together properly when the mobo was set to use the auto setting and higher FSB's. You should be able to boot just about any stick of ram at default fsb, change over to manual ram timings, reboot, then change to your desired fsb overclock and reboot again. I've had absolutley zero problems with both a 3200 and 3500 stick of XMS in this board.

talking about this, I was so worried yesterday when my system just died out. I try to reboot the thing and it say memory fail, and it did not post.

Going to try some of the steps you guys say and see what happen.

I also have a corsair 2400 and don't know if that will work. gotta see this.

clear the cmos, once you do that your system will boot up running both the memory and cpu at 100FSB. You will be able to post this way and be able to change the memory settings to manual.

WHEW! I just bought a a7n8x and some cas2 xms memory! thought i was gonna have some probs, you guys scared me there!

Yeah this was a bit of an add thing for me as well. I was doing some overclocking and wanted to relax my timings some. I selected the optimal timings instead of defining my own. Optimal set me to cas3 which hosed me.

Back