• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant upgrade RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

I recently installed a 128mb stick of pc133 ram in an HP pavillion 6630, but when the system tries to post, it says:
Extended RAM failed at offset: 1A

will flashing to a newer bios fix this...or is it a deeper probelm??

any recommendations?

I tihnk I remember hearing some people couldn't do ANYTHING with their hardware on some HPs and Compaqs, I could be wrong though.

JoT said:
I tihnk I remember hearing some people couldn't do ANYTHING with their hardware on some HPs and Compaqs, I could be wrong though.

HP's and Compaq's to tend to use proprietary hardware, though I've rarely seen that happen with memory.

That said, the memory error you're describing...

I can't pull up HP's website right now (go figure) or I'd look at that model and see what kind of memory it takes.

i will do some digging and get back with this.

thanks alot, I bought the computer used, and it was working fine, it previously had a 64mb stick and a 32 mb stick, so Im fairly certain it had been upgraded before. when I looked at the HP website, there is a guide to installing ram, and it says that pc133 should be compatible (no kidding) but "if it doesnt work, get pc100 RAM" not very helpful. the only bios upgrade I could find was for winXP.

it recognises the ram inthe bios, I kept the 64mb stick and with the 128 mb stick it registers as 192

the error references bank 1, where the bios shows the 128mb stick being. could this be caused by the fact that the 64mb stick is pc100 and the 128 is pc133??

chittnp said:
thanks alot, I bought the computer used, and it was working fine, it previously had a 64mb stick and a 32 mb stick, so Im fairly certain it had been upgraded before. when I looked at the HP website, there is a guide to installing ram, and it says that pc133 should be compatible (no kidding) but "if it doesnt work, get pc100 RAM" not very helpful. the only bios upgrade I could find was for winXP.

it recognises the ram inthe bios, I kept the 64mb stick and with the 128 mb stick it registers as 192

the error references bank 1, where the bios shows the 128mb stick being. could this be caused by the fact that the 64mb stick is pc100 and the 128 is pc133??

What speed is the processor. No, mixing PC-133 and PC-100 shouldn't hurt, it all just runs at the lower speed (PC-100)

i had a 6630. the ram you bought isn't compatible with that computer. i used two PC-133 128MB sticks of PNY ram and it worked perfectly, i tried other ram but most wouldn't work.

i recently just GAVE my 6630 away just so i didn't have to look at it anymore. nothing but a headache.

this is PNY RAM:( and the only reason I bought the computer is that the girl I bought it fom gave me a web cam, printer and 17" monitor and the computer and new ram for $150, it was a christmas present for my girlfriend

Back