• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I restore the MBR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beast Of Blight

Disabled
I installed RH7.3 awhile back, and the extra space it takes up has really affected this system, so I want to remove it for now.. so how do I restore the MBR?

for that matter how do I remove linux? Just delete the partition its on or what?

any help appriciated. :)

You can just delete the partition linux is on to remove it.

As far as restoring the MBR, you can do fdisk /mbr
I don't think that will erase your data, but I've never done it, so I can't be sure.

1. delete the linux partition
2. fdisk /mbr
3. set your windo~1 partition bootable again

if you´re nervous about fdisk killing your other partitions: get a DOS-diskeditor from simtel.net and save the LAST 80 bytes (5 lines) of your partition table (First sector on your harddisk). Have a boot disk with the diskeditor handy, then you can always recreate your partition(s) if needed.

Alex

If you want to still play with Linux in your spare time, try the Knoppix live CD distro. It won't install anything to your hard drive except a small swap file that you can delete later if you want. It's a demo but it will still do all the things Linux can do. It's not bloated like some other distros are because it runs fine on my old box.

I figured it out! Heh.

I made my antivirus do a scan, which noted the edited MBR. I told it that a virus infected the MBR, and it restored it to its original. Now I just have to delete the partion and linux'll be gone. :D

Back