• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the 3.06ghz chip the first Hyper-THreaded Processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

just been reading up on some stuff... and wanna know is the new 3.06 chip the first hyperthreaded processor??? if so does intel plan to make 2.66 and 2.8 chips that have hyperthreading support??? thanks for your help again guys.

The first? Well not exactly... the Northwood-based Xeons lauched last spring have hyperthreading support. But the 3.06 is the first desktop chip that has HT.

Intel will supposedly release chips down to 2.4G with HT support, but they will probably only be the 200Mhz fsb models. So the 2.5 and 2.66 won't have it (though 2.6 and 2.8 would).

Yep, the 3.06 is the first and currently the only Northwood with Hyperthreading, but I've heard that eventually other speed CPUs will support HT too.

Guess what. I have a 2.8 P4 and it has hyperthreading.

The 2.8's and a couple more below that on the 533 bus DO HAVE HYPERTHREADING TECHNOLOGY IN THEM.

Here's the problem:

Intel zapped it off at the factory :( :( :(

I've heard someone has found the pin on the CPU that has something to do with hyperthreading. They just need to know what to do with it. They tried an insulating paint on it, but no go.

This all started because someone had an engineering sample of a (2.26.......2.4, something like that) that they somehow got HT to turn on.

the HT is disabled internally to the cpu. i doubt any pin tricks can enable it.

as for the questions about future HT enabled p4's.
Q2 '03 will see the release of the 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0 and 3.2ghz chips all with HT and all with 200mhz fsb. (QDR800mhz)

this is according to the intel roadmap, so it could change. :p

don't be surpirsed looktall intel has been sticking really close to their road map lately! now had it been an AMD chip then we woulda needed to wait 6 months later for the chips to emerge ;)

Darryl_D said:
don't be surpirsed looktall intel has been sticking really close to their road map lately! now had it been an AMD chip then we woulda needed to wait 6 months later for the chips to emerge ;)

I give you credit for sticking with that rig. Now a days we people just keep on upgrading even if they don't need it.

Mike

Back