• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 694D Pro-AR Via694/Dual P3/RAID/Sound/133Mhz questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PdLrAaTgIoNnUM

im wanna buy that board for a dual processor system im planning,
and with it i wanna buy with it 2 celeron 1.1 GHZ, will this board support them or its too old to take it?

You can't do dual Celerons. The last celerons to do dual were the Mendicino cores, and I think they stopped with 533 Mhz. Jon (Mod) knows all about this, and i'm sure some others will be able to shed some light on the subject.

Welcome to the forums!

PdLrAaTgIoNnUM said:
10x for the warm welcome :)
y cant celerons be dualed?
you cant dual the new 256K celerons either?

Nope. They have no APIC to allow it and it's impossible to get around that.

Mendocino 533MHz is the last possible Celeron that was SMP-capable. If you're looking for 1GHz+, might as well choke on a couple of pricey PIIIs. :(

maybe you would consider a dual AMD system. It would cost less then new dual P3's and outperform P3's by a wide margin.

I second the motion. AMD is the best deal all around right now.
A couple of $50 xp1700s and a $100 2460 would be an easy dually to be had.
Although if you had a couple hundred for a newer board it would be worth it.

The P3 coppermines would be the only option for the 694 chipset.
About 95 apiece for 1gigs.

The Spyder said:
where do you get $95? i got mine for $60 in the classifides new.......

Well, there probably aren't going to be a $60 pair of new 1 GHz P3's in the classifieds every time someone wants to build a dual P3 system.

there was when i wanted to :D
I use that board myself, its great!!! Only beef with it, is i broke the ATX connector CLEAN OFF....... had to get a new board :)
Anyways...... for network servers, i always use intel, i tried amd and it failed me...... twice...... just not stable enough with the early tyan boards..... oh well mabey i should give it another try..... back on topic..... good luck!

The Spyder said:
where do you get $95? i got mine for $60 in the classifides new.......

Yes, and I got my 1.2 MPs for 30 each in the classified.
You can get the Tyan 2460 for $79 when they come around.
But I usually don't mind the risk and the wait with this method of purchase.

My AMD duallies are more reliable than any of my intel setups have ever been. Thats why I have been weeding out the Intel crap. I have one left because it's to expensive to sell.

Back