• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
I might be able to upgrade today, but I need a few Qs answered first. And yes, I've searched.

-SiSoft Sandra says a stick of PC2100 only has about 100MB/sec more bandwidth than my stick of PC133, which has about 450MB/sec worth of bandwidth (according to the benchmark). The sticky at the top of this forum tells me that PC2100 bandwidth is in the thousands of MB.

Which one is true?

-My memory bus can go as high as 266mhz (133mhz x 2; makes sense). I've come to the conclusion that I need PC2100 to get the job done. Am I correct?

-The manual also says that DDR memory requires "additional power and ground lines". How is this possible, if it runs at 2.5v, while SDRAM runs at 3.3v?

-SiSoft Sandra says a stick of PC2100 only has about 100MB/sec more bandwidth than my stick of PC133, which has about 450MB/sec worth of bandwidth (according to the benchmark). The sticky at the top of this forum tells me that PC2100 bandwidth is in the thousands of MB.

Which one is true?

They're both true. The sticky tells you the maximum theoretical bandwidth. But due to chipset inefficieies, trace lengths and a host of other variables, you won't achieve it. However, you probably should be scoring much higher than 550MB/s. I would expect you'd be in at least the 700s. What mobo are you running?

-My memory bus can go as high as 266mhz (133mhz x 2; makes sense). I've come to the conclusion that I need PC2100 to get the job done. Am I correct?

Yes.

-The manual also says that DDR memory requires "additional power and ground lines". How is this possible, if it runs at 2.5v, while SDRAM runs at 3.3v?

I have no idea...sorry :)

~THT

Back