• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

forgot lock the pci

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

8D

Registered
I overclocked my system(abit it-7max2v2, 2x 256mb Corsair xms3200c2, piv2.4b c1) to 2,8ghz (18x156) and it was running stable and i got really great scores in 3dmark etc. Then some hours later I noticed that I had forgot locking the PCI to 33mhz =( and i touched my 3 WD disks who were running really hot. Could some hardware have taken damage of this? It was running like that for 3h tops.

Obviously it's possible there could be some damage done but I doubt it was too hurt, 156FSB isn't all that high it just depends on the quality of your products.

Hm ok, but whay really happens when you are running too high pci frequencys? Take with harddrives for exampel. What is it that they do that could damage themselfs?

8D said:
Hm ok, but whay really happens when you are running too high pci frequencys? Take with harddrives for exampel. What is it that they do that could damage themselfs?
hmm 156/4 = 39mhz isn't too much to can broken devices etc... I worked on Epox 8KHA+ with 186mhz/4= 46,5mhz and all worked OK!!!:cool: but Epox is Epox :).

Heat mainly, i think... When the FSB is running higher, they are running at a higher MHZ instead of the standard which is usually i think 32.(something) for PCI and double (64.(something)) for the AGP. Give us a list of your PCI devices.....

2 x Western Digital 60gb
1x Western Digital 80gb

No other PCI devices

AGP, Geforce gf4 ti4600

?
what does FSB have to do with harddrives (apart from data getting messed up at high speeds, it doesn't do anything to the harddisk to heat it up (that's the rotor's job =) )? Pls explain.

^^ agreed, the PCI bus speed is simply how fast the rest of the system throws data at the drive, the effect on temperature should be close to zero. The controller chips on the drive are what has to deal with a higher bus speed, not the drive motor itself.

If your drive can run stably at a particular bus speed, and does not lose or corrupt data, then it's more or less fine to leave it at that speed indefinately. It's still going to be spinning at the same speed, and that's where the heat comes from. I think you just need to aim a fan at those drives or something, as they just run hot :D

the ide controller runs off the pci bus, if your pci bus is running out of spec(<33Mhz) it can cause problems with hard drives. mostly data loss, but i think there is some risk of physical damage.

About the only thing I can think of is running ScanDisk(CHKDSK fi you're running WinXP) to see if anything was corrupted/lost.

8D said:
2 x Western Digital 60gb
1x Western Digital 80gb

No other PCI devices

AGP, Geforce gf4 ti4600

NO OTHER PCI at all? How are you connecting to the net?? (i presume via an intergrated networking port, broadband?) No sound card or anything???:confused:

Yepp, intergrated networking port and sound card (it-7max2v2)

Edit: But the sound card and sometimes NIC doesn't work when I've overclocked so now I'm using a regular NIC and sound card.

What's wrong with having 0 PCI devices? I can't wait to move into a dorm in a few months and finally ditch these dual 56ks, they suck the life out of my PSU.

Integrated hardware is the way to go, so long as it's not video. :)

Soz, just find it kinda weird, lol.
Soz, but i hate intergrated things. They give you no control and they're usually not very good....:D
This may not ge the case with all, but i find that it is with a lot...

Back