• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LED for Lite on CDRW and DVD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kelvinblade

I want to change the LEDs for them, does anyone know whether they are 3 mm or 5 mm? Also for the Lian Li PC60. And how do I find out which side is positive? I don't have a multimeter. Thanks.

Question on the side, does dremel bits work with RTX?

The DVD is a 5mm, i know that. I dont know for sure what the burner is, but it might be the same.

Do you mean which side of the led is positive? If you look in the LED you will see that one side is bigger than the other, and one leg is longer than the other. I forget which is which :), but i am almost certain that the long leg and the big side is positive.

Ok i was'nt sure either when i modded mine so all i did was remove the old one put the new one in without soldering it into place. Then turned the system on .......takes a little while but hey it works....... when you say RTX thats the black and Decker right? If so i have it and yes you can use all dremmel parts you just have to use the small nose.

WyrmMaster said:
but i am almost certain that the long leg and the big side is positive.

The long leg is positive, so is the small part inside the led, there's also a small flat surface on the edge of the LED, that's the negative side.

I'm not sure about the burner, but I'm pretty sure that my burner (Lite-On 24x10x40) has a bi-color (Red/Green) LED.....if not they're most likely 3mm ones. (I'll mod mine tomorrow and I'll let you know).

i couldn't take the face plater off the burner?! is there a trick to it? i pushed in all the clips and took the bottom piece off. the tray seems to be holding the face plate back...

You have to open the tray, and pull it straight out. Make sure you do not pull it out crooked!! I had to do this to my burner when I changed LEDs in it, although it wasn't a LiteOn.

Scott

what kind of soldering iron do i need ? there are ones ranging from $5 - $20 at walmart. How many Walts do I need?

Rat Shack has a nice 15W one that has a very fine tip, so it's great for working on PCBs and tight areas. A 30W is more suited for soldering together wires and stuff where heat isn't so damaging. I have the 15/30W soldering iron which is great for the variety you can do, but the tip is still fat so it doesn't get into the tight places the same. Both the 15W one and the dual wattage one are $10 a pop, so it's not going to break the bank. And don't forget to pick up some solder and I also recomend getting a little clip on heatsink to protect the LEDs from the soldering heat.

flux helps the sodder flow better. Most sodder has flux 'built in' so to speak, so you probably dont need any.

Also, the best way to see if you need a 3mm or 5mm is to just look at the stock one. There is no rhyme or reason to which one they use in components for the most part.

Back