• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did any of you guys hear last year a law........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

Did any of you guys hear last year a law that would make computers for personal or private use illegal? It was posted in this forum too, youd have to search way back. They say that law is to stop software piracy

Never heard of it. There'd be alot of screaming if something like that passed in the US I think, HUGE overextension of the Government into people's personal affairs.

i remember that....... they would all be like "dell" built and monitored, you could not build your own, this was a senators idea that NEVER PASSED

It's like the "law" that the Greek gov passed to ban games ...... what do games have to do with illegal gabling (sp?) ?...

LiGhTBoY said:
It's like the "law" that the Greek gov passed to ban games ...... what do games have to do with illegal gabling (sp?) ?...

I believe that got repealed, shortly thereafter. They did pass a law as such, but I seem to recall reading they abandoned the idea.

B.

oh yea palladium rings a bell. did that law ever go into effect for a short time? if it did we would need to give our computers away in exchange for "credit" or government proparity computers. as for greek games, are they talking about the likes of chess or sports?

I love the logic behind that-
People are stealing software- so lets make it illegal for people to use it :rolleyes:
Its like saying that people are using their cars to speed so we should ban cars for anything besides commercial use.
I bet Strom Thurmond mad that up :D

we need to find other solutions to prevent piracy. Thats like making.......well you think of an example. if that law passed I would move out of America. in the meanwhile I would not have a computer. id just get a consol to play my games unless they make consols illegal too :mad:

Something we must all understand. And that is..

IGNORE. THE. GOVERNMENT.
Its as intelligent as a baby that was dropped on its head, repeatedly.

Either that, or declare your house a soverighn nation and make your own laws :D

Either that, or declare your house a soverighn nation and make your own laws"

is that really possible? if so people who do drugs would all declare their houses that!

Overclocker550 said:
good thing it didnt pass. did that senator get fired or something lol

Hopefully shot.:D

Overclocker550 said:
oh yea palladium rings a bell. did that law ever go into effect for a short time? if it did we would need to give our computers away in exchange for "credit" or government proparity computers. as for greek games, are they talking about the likes of chess or sports?

No, Palladium is an O/S by microsoft, which may be coming out soon :eek:. It uses intergrated "stuff" (firmware, i belive) in processors from Intel (initially) to allow for DRM to be stepped up, so that copied illegal files can effectively be "wiped" from your computer by microsoft people, or at least be stopped from working. I wouldn't be surprised if they dicided to give certain employees access to your computers, so they could delete/edit any file that they deemed "inappropriate".:(

Beast Of Blight said:
Either that, or declare your house a soverighn nation and make your own laws :D

Damn right :)

its always some wise *** senator who comes up with a bright idea which can change the world for "good" i bet these stupid ediots were brought up in a isolation and were deprived of something we all cherish and enjoy which is parental love :mad:

i won't be surprised if in future some wisecrack decides the following

Warplanes and fighters are used to drop bombs so ban airplanes ..

Terriorists are using car bombs and brief case bombs, no one should be allowed to drive a car or carry a briefcase or purse or wallet, anyone caught doing that will be considered hostile and will be shot at sight

Since people are too dumb to understand the "logic" behind what we are thinking so we should ban freedom of speech and right to use common sense and mind

what about fishing hurts fish so we ban fishing rods? walking on grass harms grass so shoes are illegal? what about matches set fires so matches illegal too? as for paladium, id probably go linux before I got that os anyway. I am not gonna let any employer snoop in my computer. id also get a consol to run my games and use linux or a mac for surfing the net.

WHEN in the Course of human Events, it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation.

Nuf Said.

Back