• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sisoft Sandra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Decaf

In the Sandra benchmarks,
what do the terms "dhrystone" and "whetstone" refer to?
What's the etymology of these words and their significance?

Intel systems seem to get better whetstone numbers. Is this because P4 chips are quad bus vs double (?) bus for AMD?

From Webopedia:
Developed in 1984 by R.P. Wecker, Dhrystone is a benchmark program written in C or Pascal (and now even in Java) that tests a system's integer performance. The program is CPU bound, performing no I/O functions or operating system calls.

Dhrystones per second is the metric used to measure the number of times the program can run in a second.

From some website.
Whetstone is a benchmark test which attempts to measure the speed and efficiency at which a computer performs floating-point operations. The result of the test is given in units called whetstones.

It's easier to explain this way. :DSome Website

:eek: Which P4?

I just clicked sissoft and quick test while on this forum

Mine AMD 2.31ghz
Dhrystone 8681
Whetstone 3507

P4 2.44
Dhrystone 6403
Whetstone 3144

AMD 3000+ 2.4ghz
Dhrystone 9033
Whetstone 3670

P4 2.8ghz
Dhrystone 7470
Whetstone 3668

Are they faster clock to clock?

NOT bashing just try to compare apples to apples:D

yes, clock per clock cycle amd is faster than pentium.

amd athons are boasted to be able to use up to nine operations per clock cycle. amd has a longer pipline than p4 so it takes a little longer to process info. but because the athlon does more operations per clock cycle, it gets the job done quicker. clock per clock.

not a p4 owner so i don't really know. but i think they only run like 6 operations per clock cycle. p4 use a shorter pipe line takeing less time to process info. making it faster in mhz.

maybe a p4 owner or someone with alittle more insight on p4s can give alittle more info.

I also have a P4 2.44 (533fsb)@2.55

It's pretty fast I just have not been able to get it to go real ffffaaassstt.

To me in real life use? it seems to match my 2100+@1933

Still playing with it........it's been awhile my last intel P [email protected]!

I think both chips go much faster then we can use them;)

Just like clicking the mouse and before you know the button's up the windows is open!

Back