• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox 8k7a limited.. help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

Ok, i have an epox 8k7a board with a thunderbird 1.2 gig proc. I have a factory unlocked 1.2 tbird, so i tried bumping up the multiplier.. I can take it up to 10.5 max (1400 with 133 fsb) before it wont let me do anything, but i cant go past 1400 mhz at all, no matter if i bump up fsb to 150 and put 9.5 mult or whatever... By that i mean, itll read cpu at faster than 1400, but give me a checksum error, i cannot go into bios because it says its locked, and if i hit f1 to continue, just goes to a blank screen. Is this because the bios wont support it or what? Right now ive got it at 147 fsb with a 9.5 mult (1397) and its fine, so far..

Sounds too me like your CPU is limiting you. Try bumping the voltage a little. You may not get much more out of it though, most athlons wouldnt go much over 1.4 without serious cooling and voltage.

Well i dont think its the cooling? Might be voltage, but why would it tell me the bios is locked if its the volt/temperature? Im running 1.8vcore and its at 43 c idle (case side is off)..

you may just be pusing the cpu too far, causing errors.

Also, which bios version are you using. You should probably update to the latest one, if you havent already.

Well, i am new to overclocking, that being my first truely oc'ed computer.. And it was the power (i guess i didnt think power would cause a hang after post situation).. I bumped my vdimm up to 2.7 and put vcore to 1.89.. I ended up getting 9.5 mult with 151 fsb. Cant get anymore outta it or itll just reboot on windows load, even tho it gets through post :(. Kinda happy though, i dont think 235 mhz is too bad? 1435 as of right now :D

ps: I did learn some stuff thanx wyrm.. I learned that 155 fsb my WD hdd cant take lol.. I put fsb at 155, bios starts detecting hdd, and then it comes up with colored dots instead of hdd listing.. oops..! Also, i got a mem error, which i believe is the only thing holding me back is my memory. I have kingston 128 meg stick in (just a toy machine to learn oc'ing) that is 2.5.

Back