• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Unknown Overclock.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Spyder

Ok~ my uncle calls me today, i talked to him at christmas, gave him a voodoo 5 5500 to borrow because he went to frys and got a 2gig celery for $99 with motherboard. Hes setting it up, and this board has manual jumper settings for FSB. He dosent know its a 100fsb chip, cause theres no packaging, and he figures more is betteR ;) Sets it to 133 and loads windows at 2.6ghz and call me cause it rest during the last boot for 98se install..... i tell him well..... you just overclocked your cpu :-D hes like kool, how can i make it stable? i told him to raise the voltage .1 (1.5 to 1.6) and its fine. So now he goes from a tbird 800 to a celeron 2.6 :) I think he made out good!!! $100 for something 3x faster~ (sdr to DDR also...)

Spyder

Heh nice little story. Overclocking has become a really mainstream thing, or so it seems to me. Even low-power PC users go for the occassional overclock, often with only stock cooling, and they are still getting some decent results, like your uncle.

Maybe the next breaktrough will be when extreme overclocking tools (powerful H2O setups, peltiers and phase change cooling) become cheaper and more easy to setup and use- and we are getting there, just take a look at the H2O 'kits' for sale now.

Back