• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG, I windowed a HD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cool beans dude. I don't think I can work up the courage to do that yet. I think that when I build my next rig I might try it.

um, that's an mpg. you don't need divx decoders for that.

either way, nice mod :) I could never get the guts to do that. Too much risk for me.

Cool G33k j00 live in bristol? I live in Southampton, but i come up there sometimes. you should give me ur post code+house no, i can come visit j00 :D

Lovely mod, i gotta try that sometime ;)
Did you do that thing with opening it in the bathroom after you've "steamed" it to keep the dust out?

Where is the power/IDE cable?

*edit I guess the power is probably in the part that I cant see, but does it work?

Last edited:
Yea, thats mpeg.....hehe.

Anyway, where IS the IDE cable??? The part hidden by the camera is way too small to hide both the IDE and the power cable....

Anyway, I'd like to try that one some time...I love watching stuff at work....heh, I could run a defrag and watch the read/write arm go for hooouuuurrrrsss hehe.

It's not a waste - I got a big window in my case :) Sadly the drive died :(

After some fiddling, I managed to get a 100MB partition working and even copied a file to it! just as I was about to open the file I heard a sort of whispering sound from the disk. Looking over at it I saw a thin silver line right around the platter, just under the head. Looks like some dust made its way in there! It hasn't worked since unfortunately, but fear not - this was just a trial run!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :)

P.s - Arbital : not likely, you'll come steal my windowed HD ;)

i hope u wasted one of those old sub GB harddrives. I would kill myself if it would have been a new Maxtor/IBM/WD (whatever suits your boat)

Originally posted by G33k
It's not a waste - I got a big window in my case :)

unless you have changed the HD bay, you wouldn't be able to see much of the drive, it would be cool in one of those clear cases:)

also how did you get the top off?

I've just done another (much better) video! This time you really DO need the DivX Codecs - well spotted Nick :rolleyes:

It was an old 850MB disk and it wasn't even mine so no biggie.

To get the top off, I considered trying to find a suitable star-shaped key. Then I realised I was gonna void the warranty any how so I whipped out the dremel and cut slots in the screws. Now they accept any regular common or garden flat-head screwdriver :D

Heh, i see that ur just powering it up and down. did u use plexiglass for the window? What glue (if u used glue) did u use to glue it to the remaining metal lid?

I used some crappy old acrylict-type-stuff (not entirely sure what it is). I used aryldite to glue it on and when I do one properly, I'll use silicon sealant to totaly seal the thing ;)

G33k said:
I've just done another (much better) video! This time you really DO need the DivX Codecs - well spotted Nick :rolleyes:

It was an old 850MB disk and it wasn't even mine so no biggie.

To get the top off, I considered trying to find a suitable star-shaped key. Then I realised I was gonna void the warranty any how so I whipped out the dremel and cut slots in the screws. Now they accept any regular common or garden flat-head screwdriver :D

Now that, is nice! I love the reflection!

Maybe HD makers will someday accomodate us and put windows in...that would be nice. Altering HD's is risky business, and I wouldn't do it outside of a "clean room"...

Back