• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast quiet disks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ralf Hutter said:
You also said "quiet" in your subject. That would be Seagate Barracuda IV. Maxtor is a strong 4th behind WD and IBM.

Definetly have to agree with you. I have that, 80GB, in my room, its as quiet as a mouse!

what WD and ibm drives are you using? I can hear every single head movement on WD and ibm drives from where i sit. And that's not just on the drives i have from the manufacturers, it's at my friends houses and everyone else i've ever been around with the drives. And spinwise....no, I think that list is screwed up.

DLB is good for many reasons, and i can say for certain that my 5400rpm wd drive i got no less than a year ago is FRICKEN loud compared to it. And i dont torture my drives with high temperature, they are well ventillated and kept cool.

It's also nice to have acoustic management, where you can decrease the noise level of a hdd at the expense of rotational speed :)

Hi,

Sorry to say that, but the IBM 180GXP is also a contender (and probably winner) here (fluid bearings, 8Mb chache, and VERY fast)... also reliability seems not to be a problem any more for 120GXPs or 180GXPs.

Regards
FTC

The seagates are absolutely silent. The maxtors have a considerable amount of seek noise, but are otherwise quiet (i.e. no motor whine).

I got one Seagate BIV here at home, and promptly bought three more for work when we needed them. They are SO QUIET!

In my opinion, I don't think you'll notice much of a speed difference between them. I think if you are looking for ultimate speed then go for the 8mb WD's...if you want a fast 7200rpm drive that you won't hear and has good reliability records, go for the Seagate.

Mike

Both my WD (one SE, one regular) are kinda noisy...I think they're the noisiest components in my system which is why I'm trying to decided if I should repalce them with Barracudas or SATA drives.

~THT

ahhhh no IBMs, my 20gb 7200rpm drive died repeatedly, it would work after reformatting then die again a while later only giving off bzz..bzz..bzz sounds when being detected then end up not being detected at all, eventually it just said smart capable but failed and won't work again, couldn't send it back, i think because it was oem :( it wasn't the only one, my brother has one of the same model at work and it stopped working half a year before mine, they were about the same age, i'll try to get the model number

my maxtor seen in my sig on the other hand, not the fluid bearing, gives off a whining sound i can hear when turning off the system when the fans stop drowning out the sound, a bit annoying, but with even mild fans, can hardly hear it

I have a 'cuda IV and I like the fact that they're so damn quiet. Thanks for all the suggestions guys - think I'll prolly go with another Seagate. Anyone know what the difference between the cuda IV and the V ?

I have 6 Seagate 20 GIG hard drives...there is a tool which enables some silent thing...and it does go quiet.....it always tricks me in thinking that the drive has not started :D

Excelsior said:
I have 6 Seagate 20 GIG hard drives...there is a tool which enables some silent thing...and it does go quiet.....it always tricks me in thinking that the drive has not started :D

What drives does this work on? Any idea where I can get this? I'm guessing that it drops the performance a little?

G33k said:

What drives does this work on? Any idea where I can get this? I'm guessing that it drops the performance a little?

Well....you need a intel motherboard...it's the Intel Acceleration toolkit....If u have a computer with a intel which meets the Intel Acceleration specifactions...u can run this utilitiy which gives u different speed options....My Hard drive was set on High Performance...i selected it on low for a test....did not loose any performance that i have not noticed....And it went very quite...now i can leave my computer to download over night without the hard drive makeing loud noises :D

G33k said:
I have a 'cuda IV and I like the fact that they're so damn quiet. Thanks for all the suggestions guys - think I'll prolly go with another Seagate. Anyone know what the difference between the cuda IV and the V ?

You probably already saw this thread which was posted a bit ago, but if not, there are some great links posted to storagereview articles for both the IV and V.

Mike

Back