• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnArMeDARMY

I built my friend a new P4 system so he let me have his old compaq. Its a P2 Celeron-A 333mhz socket 307 and intel natoma 82440LXi/EX chipset i think, im just wondering what i can upgrade this too? i found adapters for socket 307s and all kinds of crazy stuff to make it work with the p3 coppermines and 500mhz-1.1ghz celerons and it just confuses me since its all kinda old before i got into the hobby so any knowledge would help

sorry but the chipset you have is junk
the LX and EX(glorfied LX) only support 66FSB official. 75 and 83 unofficial....
so if the motherboard supports coppermines, 766 is tha max that you can throw into that board...
if it doesnt support coppermines, 533 MHz is that max that it can go.

Any idea on who makes the motherboard? as then hopefully we can get a little more detail on you (limited) options, and if it would even be worth your time

Well, you mean socket 370, not socket 307. Anyway, Jay is right. You are extremely limited at best with that mobo. Compaq will not have any FSB setting, so that mobo and CPU is about the best you can hope for. Most Compaq power supplies are proprietory, so you probably can't even swap in a new mobo. I say sell it on ebay, people are still buying those P-II rigs for some reason.

Back