• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobo + cooling, or new CPU + cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evnas

Well, right now im running the system in my sig. Cant overclock for **** because of 2 things...stock cooling on CPU, and my mobo is unstable overclocked. Ive got an 1800+ Palomino, and im deciding wether to go with a new mobo (EPoX 8RDA standard) + cooling, so i can overclock (and probably pick up the 2400+, or better CPU later on down the road), or new CPU (2400+) + cooling, and not overclock (and probably buy the mobo later on down the road)

What would u do?

I would go with MoBO + Cooling. That is only my opinion. Upgrade the CPU another day. What kind of Cooling you want to get?

By the way, you should spend the $ on your fiance :cool:

I agree with Elusion on this one. Your mobo and cooling are really the areas that limit you. An Epox 8RDA and an SLK800 would be nice. You can always upgrade the cpu at a later time, its probably a good idea to wait for low speed Tbred Bs.

Ok guys...ill go with mobo + cooling (and with my left over cash ill spend on my fiance Elusion ;) Shes a computer geek to though...so maybe ill buy her some RAM :p lol), and maybe wait for the Barton to finally upgrade the CPU. Anyways, what would u guys say is about the average overclock for an 1800+ Pally with a SLK-800 or SK7?

t-bred 1800+ can reach 2000mhz, it would be great if you can find a t-bred rev b 1800+ .... I would suggest slk800 since so many people using it.

Evnas said:
Ok guys...ill go with mobo + cooling (and with my left over cash ill spend on my fiance Elusion ;) Shes a computer geek to though...so maybe ill buy her some RAM :p lol), and maybe wait for the Barton to finally upgrade the CPU. Anyways, what would u guys say is about the average overclock for an 1800+ Pally with a SLK-800 or SK7?

I'm glad you decided to go with the Mobo and cooling.:) Do you know the stepping of your 1800+ Palomino? If you got it fairly recently I'd guess its an AGOIA which should do pretty well; maybe 1.8-1.9 GHz with high-end air.

I got it back in September...any idea on what it would be? I dont want to pull it out and look, cuz im using stock cooling with that damn thermal pad, and if i remember right, the thermal pad like melts itself to the core, and is a ***** to get off, heh

Evnas said:
I got it back in September...any idea on what it would be? I dont want to pull it out and look, cuz im using stock cooling with that damn thermal pad, and if i remember right, the thermal pad like melts itself to the core, and is a ***** to get off, heh

AGOIA cpus started becoming common in early summer(as I remember) so if you got this cpu in September it should probably be an AGOIA.

Hmm...well i think im gonna try and take the HSF off and have a look...not gonna put to much effort into it, so if it is melted on it, oh well, heh. Maybe ill just run out and pick up some AS3 if i can and replace the thermal pad with it (of i want to even bother since its just a stock HSF)

*edit* Well, i just checked and it is AGOIA. Now im not to familier with the different steppings...hows this one overclock?

Last edited:
Back