• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mandrake 9.0 + 8500 = no workie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Just installed Mandrake 9.0. Video card is a retail Radeon 8500 w/64mb RAM.

I can get past the login screen only to get an error. It says X has trouble running.

Where do I find the driver and how do I install it in command line? Are there any other ways to fix this that I dont know of?

Mandrake 9 works fine for me with the retail ATI 8500, straight out of the box. Try the drivers at ati.com, good luck installing them, because you'll need it

So your starting in a command line and trying to start X Windows with startx, right?

Could you get the exact error message?

The file the handles the settings for the X server is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Try editing that file, and find the driver line for your video card, and try the generic vesa driver and see if that works.

As root, open the file:
pico /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

look for something like this:
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Nvidia GeForce 4"
        Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Where it says nvidia on mine, you want to change that to vesa. Save the file and try starting X again.

Worked fine for me as well, minus the fact that my card is 128MB, not 64. If all else fails, try a reinstall. Doesn't seem like you can have too many important files on there . . .

Z

ya I just reinstalled a short while ago. Titan386, when it came time to install the video driver I just selected the VESA driver liek u said.

It works now. All I have to do is take a quick tutorial on Linux commands and the I will try to install the proper driver. If that fudges uip the rig I will just reinstall again... lol

Thanx.

I was very much under the impression that the Radeon 8500 was natively supported, even in 8. I strongly remember installing no drivers and that it recognized my card when installing Linux. Am I wrong, here?

Glad it works

Z

Back