• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experience RAID 0 Users in here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paul.K

Hi all,

Thanks for your help in advance. I am a proud owner of the AT7Max2 mainboard and I am about to adventure into setting up my first hardware RAID 0 setup. I have done a RAID 5 with parity under WIN 2000 Advanced Server so I have some experience with these HD setups. My questions to you's are:

A) What type of HD's do you's recommend, I was thinking 2 Maxtor 80gig 8MB cache or WD SE 80gig with the same cache size.

B)What cluster size do you recommend for a RAID 0 setup. 32K,16K,8K etc.

C)Whats the lastest highpoint drivers?

Thanks all

Paul..

PS Happy New Year all!!!

Paul.K said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help in advance. I am a proud owner of the AT7Max2 mainboard and I am about to adventure into setting up my first hardware RAID 0 setup. I have done a RAID 5 with parity under WIN 2000 Advanced Server so I have some experience with these HD setups. My questions to you's are:

A) What type of HD's do you's recommend, I was thinking 2 Maxtor 80gig 8MB cache or WD SE 80gig with the same cache size.

B)What cluster size do you recommend for a RAID 0 setup. 32K,16K,8K etc.

C)Whats the lastest highpoint drivers?

Thanks all

Paul..

PS Happy New Year all!!!

1) Either should be fine. They're both proven performers.

2) Really depends on what you're doing with it. If just normal usage (browsing, gaming, etc.) 16 or 32K will be fine. If doing anything like sound or video editing, 64K would be the smallest I would use...128K minimum would be recommended.

2) Drivers. May want to check your mainboard's manufacturer site if it's an embedded controller too. I don't think HPT requires separate drivers for embedded solution like Promise does, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

With regards to High Point Drivers all you really need to do is to make sure they match the RAID BIOS of the embedded controller chip & your good to go. Just remember to load/install the drivers by hitting F6 when installing the OS/W2000|Pro/WXP|Home|Pro|MC.

Back