• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my 'real' first attempt at overclocking..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BadOC

Well guys, i have had bad luck in the past with overclocking my computer, 3 dead cpus a dead board, but thats spilt milk now so i am just looking to the future. I picked up this a7v8x before the nf2 boards came out, and im a little hesitant to overclock. This is because of all the computer parts that i have had to lay to rest in the past years :(
Anyhow, i was just fooling around, my temps are really cool since i lapped my heatsink and started using Arctic silver. The temps are in my sig. Im thinking i can push this thing a little further before i stay happy.
Right now im at 12.5 x 140 i believe = 1750, which is peanuts for what this thing is capable of. The only problem is i have ddr266 RAM to work with. I dont know whats up with my computer, when i try to go to 145 fsb, at 1.75 vcore, i BSOD or freeze in windows. So then i up the Vcore to like 1.775 or 1.80 and my computer, when i reboot, makes this weird *** beeping noise (i think its some ASUS protection thing) and i get no output to the monitor unless i completely turn off my comp and restart.
Any suggestions on what to do would be fabulous. Thanks.

Perhaps you need to up the voltage to the memory. I suggest running relaxed timings like 3-3-6 C2.5 1T. You should be able to up your FSB a little more then if your RAM is what's holding you back. You may want to get a better HSF like an SLK-800 (best air cooling so far).

~THT

Back